Ray

Default Chain saw oil? ? ?

I just got a small McCulloh chain saw, and nowhere in the instructions can I
find what type of oil I should use for the chain.

The little tank holds only 1.7 ounces.

Can anyone tell me?

Ray wrote:
I just got a small McCulloh chain saw, and nowhere in the instructions can I
find what type of oil I should use for the chain.

The little tank holds only 1.7 ounces.

Can anyone tell me?

regular chain bar oil. it varies according to outside temperature.

Colbyt

"Ray" wrote in message
I just got a small McCulloh chain saw, and nowhere in the instructions can

find what type of oil I should use for the chain.

The little tank holds only 1.7 ounces.

Can anyone tell me?

Bar chain oil is what many use. I find it gets old and thick before I can
use a gallon of it.

I have never used anything but the cheapest 30w non detergent motor oil in
my 23 year old saw and it still works fine.

If you are a new user be sure to check the oil level OFTEN until you know
how much oil your saw uses. Most saws use 1+ tank of bar oil to one tank of
gas. That will vary just a bit with temperature at the time you are sawing.
It is far better to run out of gas than oil.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

David Martel

Ray,

In many hardware stores there is a section devoted to gas powered tools.
That's where they stock the spark plugs, air filters, weed whacker string,
et c. Chain bar oil will be there. Read your owner's manual so you'll know
what to buy. Auto parts stores also carry this stuff.

Dave M.

G Hensley

Ray wrote:
I just got a small McCulloh chain saw, and nowhere in the instructions can I
find what type of oil I should use for the chain.

The little tank holds only 1.7 ounces.

Can anyone tell me?

There was a 2 week long/multiple post thread on this topic a couple
months back. Check the archive at google.

Mark wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:43:09 GMT, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
I just got a small McCulloh chain saw, and nowhere in the instructions can

find what type of oil I should use for the chain.

The little tank holds only 1.7 ounces.

Can anyone tell me?

Bar chain oil is what many use. I find it gets old and thick before I can
use a gallon of it.

I have never used anything but the cheapest 30w non detergent motor oil in
my 23 year old saw and it still works fine.

I second this. I use whatever motor oil I have around at the time.
Usually the oil will be empty by the time I'm done cutting, so I'm not
worried about it being too thick next time around if it's still cold. Even
if it were cold, enough will still flow on to the chain to keep it
happy....unless we're talking -10F or worse.

i prefer to use the proper bio-degradable product. i also like it cause
the color red gives a better indication when you have run out. i cut
(junk) in my driveway and find that the proper oil does indeed break
down, unlike the motor oil which ends up all over the driveway.

If you are a new user be sure to check the oil level OFTEN until you know
how much oil your saw uses. Most saws use 1+ tank of bar oil to one tank of
gas.

I wish mine used that little. It seems to like almost double that. Has
since day one.

That will vary just a bit with temperature at the time you are sawing.
It is far better to run out of gas than oil.

Although you'll know pretty quick if you do run out of oil. Smoke is a
good indication.....

TURTLE

"Ray" wrote in message
I just got a small McCulloh chain saw, and nowhere in the instructions can I
find what type of oil I should use for the chain.

The little tank holds only 1.7 ounces.

Can anyone tell me?

This is Turtle.

Everybody normal will buy a gal. of Chain Saw Bar Oil from any Small engine
repair places at about
$3.50 a Gal. . The others will just use any oil that has a weight of 40 or more.
90 to 120 weight rear end gear oil works good too. I'm normal and invest in the
high dollar stuff to use at $3.50 a Gal.. I have been told the chain saw bar
oil is 90 weight rear end gear oil but not sure.

Also any place that sells chain saws sell chain saw bar oil.

TURTLE

Doug Miller

In article 3pFYe.4374$yN1.1132@trnddc03, "Ray" wrote:
Thanks Rob -- where do you get it?

D'ya think maybe the same place you bought the chain saw?

--
Regards,

I hope you've been able to let your chainsaw cool down for a bit.
Meaning that damage from Katrina is under control.

And ... I hope you don't get too much exercise cleaning up after Rita.

Bar & Chain oil is really tacky stuff. Gee- just what you'd need to
not have it sprayed off.

Chainsaw oil Bill R Woodturning 29 April 2nd 05 04:57 AM
sharpending chain saw chain? Krystonia5 Home Repair 19 January 31st 05 01:11 PM
Chain Saw Bar Wear Jonathan Goodish Home Repair 34 January 22nd 05 11:36 PM
Chain Saw Bar Wear Jonathan Goodish Woodworking 36 January 22nd 05 11:36 PM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM