Jonathan Goodish

Default Chain Saw Bar Wear

I am a relatively new chain saw owner who has Googled extensively and
read the owner's manual several times. I have a good degree of common
sense, and try to take care, but I am destined to make stupid mistakes
anyway.

After about 2 hours of use on the new saw going through cherry and ash,
I started into some oak about 12" in diameter with a 20" bar on a Husky
346XP (fast saw). I worked through this for about an hour and noticed
that the the oak seemed to be getting progressively harder to cut,
requiring more pressure on the saw as I moved toward the base of the
tree (tree had been felled already). Eventually, the bar and chain
began to smoke, and I probably made 7 or 8 cuts until the bar and chain
were smoking so badly it became obvious that something was seriously
wrong... the bar oil on the bar was bubbling from the heat. I removed
the bar from the log and ran the saw for about 30 seconds to oil the bar
and allow the smoke to dissipate from the bar and chain.

I inspected the bar and noticed that the paint had disappeared along the
edges of the bar, the Husky lettering in the center of the bar was
completely gone, and there were a couple of spots in the center of the
bar where the paint had disappeared. I suspect that the paint had
simply burned off at these locations.

Obviously, the chain was dull. Why that wasn't obvious when I had to
force the saw to cut is beyond me. That's the bad news.

The good news is that I inspected the bar and didn't see any obvious
signs of damage. I didn't notice any "bluing" of the bar metal where
the paint is gone, and I didn't notice any burring or flaring of the bar
rails. I did flip the bar over and put a new Oregon chain on it, and
the saw now cuts like a champ. I am not sure why the original Husky
chain became so dull after only 3 hours on the saw, as I took care to
keep it out of the dirt and certainly didn't hit anything other than
wood during operation.

My question: What signs of damage to the saw, bar, or chain should I be
looking for at this point? I suspect that the paint burning off of the
bar is premature wear at this point, but I'm not sure if that is a
indicator of damage. Does it sound like I got lucky this time, or could
something have been damaged that is not yet obvious?

Thanks,
JKG
Greg O

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message

My question: What signs of damage to the saw, bar, or chain should I be
looking for at this point? I suspect that the paint burning off of the
bar is premature wear at this point, but I'm not sure if that is a
indicator of damage. Does it sound like I got lucky this time, or could
something have been damaged that is not yet obvious?

Thanks,
JKG

There probably is very little or no damage to the bar.
How long a saw chain will stay sharp depends on the quality of the chain and
what you are cutting. You may have hit a small stone or nail imbeded in the
wood you are cutting. Dirt, stones, nails, wire, and more can be found in
trees and you could cut into one with out even knowing.
As your experiance grows you will realize when to sharpen, or change saw
chains. Change them often! Do not force the saw to cut, just guide it
throught the cut. If you plan on cutting a fair amount of wood you should
have 5-6 spare chains.
Greg

Wilson Lamb

Well, letting the smoke out is never a good thing to do.
You should touch up the chain every time you fill the tank. More if you
suddenly feel it start to cut poorly, like you have hit something.

A touchup like that only takes a couple of minutes and gives you a chance to
rest and think about safety. There's no reason to overload the engine or
ruin the parts prematurely, or to waste time cutting slowly.

If you damaged the bar by softening it, you'll soon see the saw veering off
line when you cut. As soon as that happens, you have to dress the bottom of
the bar to make the two sides exactly parallel. If the blade has softened,
it will soon wear unevenly and veer again. Good shops can dress the bar
pretty well, but if it is bad it will pay to get a new one.

My troll alarm is tinkling on this, but maybe the advice will be useful to
some beginners.

ALL CHAINSAW USERS SHOULD BE CAREFUL! Keep the bar away from the legs and
keep the tip out of the cut. Be sure you aren't cutting something that can
spring up or fall. Take the time to look at each cut and think what will
happen when you cut through. Hearing protectors work!

Wilson
[...]

Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Wilson Lamb" wrote:

[...]

You know, I'm always amazed at how some folks can't help but beat their
chest and display their ego every time someone asks a legitimate
question.

First of all, I never said anything that indicated that I wasn't being
safe with the saw. This was my first cut into oak with this saw, and
the high degree of smoke did tip me off that something wasn't right,
even though I now realize (with a new chain) that I shouldn't have had
to work nearly that hard to cut through even seasoned oak. However, I
suspect that I did little more than burn some bar oil off the bar and
chain, along with some bar paint.

Secondly, I'm not sure what caused your "troll alarm" to start
"tinkling," but I don't appreciate the suggestion that this question is
somehow a troll. If you don't feel that a question is worthy of your
great body of knowledge, you are always free to not reply.

I will state that I do appreciate thoughtful replies from those who
don't have anything to gain by making snide remarks.

JKG
Juergen Hannappel

Jonathan Goodish writes:

[...]

You know, I'm always amazed at how some folks can't help but beat their
chest and display their ego every time someone asks a legitimate
question.

First of all, I never said anything that indicated that I wasn't being
safe with the saw. This was my first cut into oak with this saw, and

.... speaking of Chainsaws: A (local fool) buys a new chainsaw,
impressed by the dealers promise that he can fell 100 trees per day
with the saw. Next day he returns furiously to the shop and complains:
"A hundred trees? I did not even manage one, and i was all woked
out! The saw cuts very poorly." The dealer is astonished, takes the
saw to see if anything is wrong, pulls the starter cord, the saw
starts up all right. Astonished buyer: "What's that for a strange
sound?"

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Juergen Hannappel wrote:
... speaking of Chainsaws: A (local fool) buys a new chainsaw,
impressed by the dealers promise that he can fell 100 trees per day
with the saw. Next day he returns furiously to the shop and complains:
"A hundred trees? I did not even manage one, and i was all woked
out! The saw cuts very poorly." The dealer is astonished, takes the
saw to see if anything is wrong, pulls the starter cord, the saw
starts up all right. Astonished buyer: "What's that for a strange
sound?"

I will admit to being amazed at how much trouble some folks have
starting chain saws. The saw that I purchased doesn't have a
compression release, and it's almost easier to start than my car. I
really don't understand where the problem is for folks, particularly
with a new saw.

JKG
Wilson Lamb

My troll alarm went off because it's pretty far fetched that someone would
smoke the bar on a brand new Husky and not stop to see what was wrong! You
obviously have never used a CS seriously, or it wouldn't have happened. I
thought my reply was pretty reasonable and the advice good. In my 50 years
of being close to chainsaws, I've never seen a smoking bar, so maybe you can
cut me a little slack. I HAVE seen a chain or two on backwards, which
really takes the cake!

I'm way too old to get an ego rush from chatting on a newsgroup, so maybe
you could lighten up a little? If this had happened in the field, you'd
have received a good ribbing in person!

Wilson

"Wilson Lamb" wrote:

[...]

TaskMule

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
I am a relatively new chain saw owner who has Googled extensively and
read the owner's manual several times. I have a good degree of common
sense, and try to take care, but I am destined to make stupid mistakes
anyway.

snip

The bar is fine. Just make sure the oiler is working properly, keep chain
oil topped up.
Sharpen the chain regularly, if it's making square chips it's sharp, if it's
making dust it's dull.

L. M. Rappaport

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:58:02 -0500, Jonathan Goodish
wrote (with possible editing):

In article ,
"Wilson Lamb" wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I don't think Wilson was doing either. He gave you some damn
good advice and you really ought to pay attention.

First of all, I never said anything that indicated that I wasn't being
safe with the saw. This was my first cut into oak with this saw, and
the high degree of smoke did tip me off that something wasn't right,
even though I now realize (with a new chain) that I shouldn't have had
to work nearly that hard to cut through even seasoned oak. However, I
suspect that I did little more than burn some bar oil off the bar and
chain, along with some bar paint.

He never implied you weren't being safe, but even thinking that a
chain would stay sharp for three hours indicates you're enough of a
beginner, that his safety advice was good. You sharpen a chain every
time you fill the tank or at best, in softwood, every other time.
Furthermore, the longer you wait, the harder it is to sharpen the
chain. If you want a guide look at the leading corner of a cutter.
If you're using chisel chain, you will begin to see a rounding over
indicating it's dullness; if you're using conventional chain, you will
still see it beginning to get dull there - instead of a sharp profile,
it will start to get rounded.

....snip

I'll add that you should also find out about logging chaps and that
most SAFE loggers wear helmets with both chip screens and hearing
protectors. Furthermore, I'll add that cutting with the tip is DEADLY
- it's the reason for more accidents than just about any other
mistake, chain brakes notwithstanding. When you cut, always make sure
that the chainsaw is offset - to the right if you are righthanded,
such that if it kicks neither you nor anyone else is in the path of
the direction it will go. Never cut wood on the ground. You'll hit
the dirt and dull the chain eventually.

Those of us who have used chainsaws over a long period of time know
how really dangerous a saw is. I don't know of a tool which causes
more injuries and I've used just about everything in my 64 years. I
don't think anyone can overplay the danger involved in using one.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Andy Dingley

wrote:

You know, I'm always amazed at how some folks can't help but beat their
chest and display their ego every time someone asks a legitimate
question.

I'm amazed that someone can use a chainsaw and have smoke pouring off
the bar before they realise something is wrong.

Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
L. M. Rappaport wrote:
He never implied you weren't being safe, but even thinking that a
chain would stay sharp for three hours indicates you're enough of a
beginner, that his safety advice was good. You sharpen a chain every
time you fill the tank or at best, in softwood, every other time.
Furthermore, the longer you wait, the harder it is to sharpen the
chain. If you want a guide look at the leading corner of a cutter.
If you're using chisel chain, you will begin to see a rounding over
indicating it's dullness; if you're using conventional chain, you will
still see it beginning to get dull there - instead of a sharp profile,
it will start to get rounded.

Ah, another egotist with lots of unsolicited "advice."

I didn't ask for advice for using the saw, I asked for guidance on one
specific situation. Please do not insult my intelligence by assuming
that, because I don't know everything there is to know about saws, that
I know nothing. Your assumption is dangerous and, in this case,
incorrect.

I suspect that the pro loggers still have a thing or two to learn even
after many years in the field.

And, for the record, the dull chain still seems sharp when I inspect
it... the cutters certainly aren't rounded out or anything obvious like
that. I suspect that it may be sharp enough for softwoods, but when I
tackled the oak it simply wasn't good enough.

JKG
Ross Mac

L. M. Rappaport wrote:
[...]

Pay no attention to this guy...it's his usual routine....
While I am no expert on chainsaws I don't think I ever got one to last 3
hours but then again I was always cutting up fallen Madrone trees and those
things are probably hard as your Oak. I would get a couple spare chains and
when you finally get tired, haul em' down and get them sharpened....it's
prety cheap!
Good luck, Ross

George E. Cawthon

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
[...]

Smoking? And you didn't stop? yep, that is dumb, but you
know that.

The chain is unlikely damaged, you just sharpen it, and if
it dulls very rapidly you may have ruined the temper, but I
can't believe that would happen.

Lack of oil will screw up the bar. From your description,
it doesn't sound like it got hurt. You can tell by running
a finger very VERY carefully on top of the bar groove
(bottom of bar where the pressure is during cutting) and
along each side next to the groove. If you feel roughness
or metal slivers, you need to draw file it.

Draw filing is fairly simple, put the blade in a vice with
the edge you want to file up. Take a small fairly fine
flat,file; hold it crosswise to the blade edge and exactly
at right angles to the side (wide part), set it down on the
edge with a bit of pressure and pull it toward you.
Actually you can also push it even if it is called draw
filing. The main point is keep the file flat so the blade
is filed flat. You won't need to do much filing. Finish by
lightly filing the edge with the file surface essentially
parallel with the wide part of the blade to remove any fine
metal slivers. DO NOT round the edge. If you are really a
stickler, you could polish the edge by wrapping 400 grit
wet/dry sand paper around the file and running it back and
fort on the the blade in the same way you draw filed.

BTW, you should periodically flip the blade as you have done
and it is a good thing to lightly draw file the used edge
which will up after the blade is flipped.

So what have you learned? don't continue to try to cut with
a dull blade, sharpen it.

Good luck.
Roy

Sounds like premature ejaculation and anticipation of
trolling........Your the one thats uptight making quick assed
assumptions........you would think with yur so called age you would be
more chilled out and easy going and not so quick to jump to
conclusions.

As to your chain and bar, I doubt you did anyhting to it that will
cause you problems. More use and experieince and you will get the hang
of it. A saw should cut without having to apply pressure if the chain
is sharp, so keep an eye on the chips, wehich should be nice flakes of
wood, and when you start getting raggy, edged and dust more than chip
look and it starts slowing down you know its time to touch up the
chain. As carefull as one can be non one can see what has been grown
into trees etc over their lifetime, and this is a common thing.

Run a file along the sides of your bar to knock off any wire edge that
it may have. As to paint on the bar, most of my saws have little to no
paint left on the bars, as its gonna wear off with use. Its highly
unlikely ou burned off the paint on the bars sides to amount to
much, along the gujide slot perhaps , but you just did not generate
sufficient heat to burn it off the sides.

Lots of luck and be safe.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:00:26 GMT, "Wilson Lamb"
wrote:

===My troll alarm went off because it's pretty far fetched that someone would
===smoke the bar on a brand new Husky and not stop to see what was wrong! You
===obviously have never used a CS seriously, or it wouldn't have happened. I
===thought my reply was pretty reasonable and the advice good. In my 50 years
===of being close to chainsaws, I've never seen a smoking bar, so maybe you can
===cut me a little slack. I HAVE seen a chain or two on backwards, which
===really takes the cake!
===
===I'm way too old to get an ego rush from chatting on a newsgroup, so maybe
===you could lighten up a little? If this had happened in the field, you'd
===have received a good ribbing in person!
===
===Wilson
===
==="Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
=== In article ,
=== "Wilson Lamb" wrote:
===
[...]
=== some beginners.
===
===
===
[...]

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Sooooooooooooooooolow to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

rj

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
I am a relatively new chain saw owner who has Googled extensively and
read the owner's manual several times. I have a good degree of common
sense, and try to take care, but I am destined to make stupid mistakes
anyway.

After about 2 hours of use on the new saw going through cherry and ash,

Chain just stretched, a new one will get a little longer after hard use,
that's why there's an adjustment on the bar. I use a Dremel chain saw
sharpener, doesn't take any time to touch up a saw, but I use a good guide
and file for serious sharpening.
RJ

Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:
Smoking? And you didn't stop? yep, that is dumb, but you
know that.

Actually, I did stop after it was apparent that the bar and chain were
smoking. It wasn't apparent what was happening at first.

I have noticed that a chain that is wearing will go through softer woods
without a problem but will not go through harder woods, such as oak.
Given the fact that day 2 began with the oak, the distinction between
the two wasn't as apparent as it would have been had I moved immediately
from softer to harder woods. But, you're right, I now know how to
instantly recognize when a chain isn't performing as it should.

JKG
Jonathan Goodish

In article t,
Larry Caldwell wrote:
Ah, another asshole who can't recognize good advice. You are too
ignorant to ask the questions you should be asking. Being unwilling to
listen makes you stupid.

Wow, I'm sure glad that you know me better than I do. Don't know how I
manage to get buy without your "good advice."

JKG
Tim Douglass

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:47:07 -0500, Jonathan Goodish
wrote:

[...]

I've smoked a bar or two over the years, so don't feel too bad about
it. If there was still oil on the bar and it doesn't appear blue you
probably didn't hurt the bar. Your problem seems (as you guessed) to
come from a dull chain, so you are more likely to have damaged the
chain. At worst, however, it will only mean that the chain won't stay
sharp very long. Most of my chain saw work is done in softwood - dry
pine or fir for firewood - and I probably sharpen the chain every hour
or slightly more often, cutting cherry, ash and oak you aren't going
to keep a chain sharp for an hour of steady cutting, let alone two or
three. At this point my test would be to sharpen the chain and see if
it cuts straight. If the saw wants to cut curves you may be able to
sharpen it out, but I'd just toss the chain and try a new one. It is
actually pretty amazing how messed up a bar and chain can be and still
cut great as long as the chain is sharp.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Mike Marlow

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote in
message ...

Keeping a cahinsaw sharp is IMO the most important part of maintenance. As
soon as you notice it's not cutting so well, sharpen it. Before you start,
sharpen it. You get the idea

When you stop to fuel up, is a good time to hit the chain a least a couple
of swipes on each cutter. Another good time is right after you hit a sap
spout, a rock, a nail, etc... which is guan to be immediately after you
finish sharpening it during your fuel stop.
--

-Mike-

Bruce Sinclair

In article , Jonathan Goodish wrote:
In article ,
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:
Smoking? And you didn't stop? yep, that is dumb, but you
know that.

Actually, I did stop after it was apparent that the bar and chain were
smoking. It wasn't apparent what was happening at first.

I have noticed that a chain that is wearing will go through softer woods
without a problem but will not go through harder woods, such as oak.
Given the fact that day 2 began with the oak, the distinction between
the two wasn't as apparent as it would have been had I moved immediately
from softer to harder woods. But, you're right, I now know how to
instantly recognize when a chain isn't performing as it should.

Keeping a cahinsaw sharp is IMO the most important part of maintenance. As
soon as you notice it's not cutting so well, sharpen it. Before you start,
sharpen it. You get the idea

JKG

Bruce

the bad things. = Terry Pratchett. Jingo.

(if there were any)
....Ken

"Wilson Lamb" wrote in message
.net...
Well, letting the smoke out is never a good thing to do.
You should touch up the chain every time you fill the tank. More if you

work.

I think Wilson may be holding some kind of smoke in his lungs too long.

Wilson
[...]

First off.....check that you have chain oil in your new saw. One hole for
the gas ....one hole for the chain oil.
If you did do this, check that the oil can get to your bar. There is a
little hole on the side of your bar that lets the oil in.
You have to take the side cover off to see it. Periodically you HAVE TO
clean this little hole and the groove in your bar. Chainsaws do not have
'blades' . Chains and bars.....no blades. Occasionally, after extensive use,
you can feel a bit of chain wear on your bar.......simply run a flat file
down the side of the bar and remove the bur. You are a 'long' ways away from
developing that problem. Remember that you have to lubricate the tip of your
bar.....if it has a wee hole to do so.....grease not oil in this hole. Last
two points, when you are holding your saw keep your thumb locked around the
handle...not over the handle, like a young girl; when it bucks back in your
face you will appreciate this advice....and keep your head to the LEFT, away
from being in line with the bar when...not if...it bucks back at you.

Now, did anyone tell you which side of a log you should stand on when
bucking ......just might break your legs if you choose wrong.

BTW.......filing a chain so it is 'razor' sharp don't mean squat........if
your rakers are high.

Good luck lad........nothing feels so good as knocking
down your first big 'stick'

Drop me a line if you wish................Ken

diesel_fuel

You say
-----------------------------------
I started into some oak about 12" in diameter I worked through this for
about an hour
7 or 8 cuts until the bar and chain
were smoking so badly
------------------------------------
this is a very blunt chainsaw
less than 10 seconds per cut for a sharp chain

In article ,
says...
[...]

Elmo

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
In article ,
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

... speaking of Chainsaws: A (local fool) buys a new chainsaw,
impressed by the dealers promise that he can fell 100 trees per day
with the saw. Next day he returns furiously to the shop and complains:
"A hundred trees? I did not even manage one, and i was all woked
out! The saw cuts very poorly." The dealer is astonished, takes the
saw to see if anything is wrong, pulls the starter cord, the saw
starts up all right. Astonished buyer: "What's that for a strange
sound?"

I will admit to being amazed at how much trouble some folks have
starting chain saws. The saw that I purchased doesn't have a
compression release, and it's almost easier to start than my car. I
really don't understand where the problem is for folks, particularly
with a new saw.

It's really quite simple. You've got that old fuel mix from last year
(or was it the year before?) so why mix up new stuff? Changing spark
plugs isn't really necessary. Don't bother with the air filter either.
Choke? And remember, never ever RTFM.

JKG

Tim Douglass

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:01:43 GMT, Elmo
wrote:

It's really quite simple. You've got that old fuel mix from last year
(or was it the year before?) so why mix up new stuff? Changing spark
plugs isn't really necessary. Don't bother with the air filter either.
Choke? And remember, never ever RTFM.

A couple years ago I pulled my old big McCulloch out of storage and
went to start it. There was still a bit of gas in it from 4-5 years
earlier, so I just popped the compression release, set the choke, held
the throttle and gave it a spin to see what it would do. Started on
the second pull. Smoked like crazy because about half the gas had
evaporated, leaving a pretty oil-rich mix, but I was sure surprised
when it fired up.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:11:28 +1300, Peter Huebner
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Actually, I did stop after it was apparent that the bar and chain were
smoking. It wasn't apparent what was happening at first.

If the chain and bar were smoking, then that suggests to me that you
didn't have enough chain bar oil in the tank?!? Or maybe that the feeder
hole was blocked, or that the groove in the bar was full of sawdust.
Smoking should never occur blunt chain or sharp, if the chain
lubrication works as it should.

A dull chain will smoke like crazy if you keep trying to force it to
cut - in fact the more oil on the bar the more it will smoke. I've
conducted this experiment more than once in the past trying to use an
old bar and chain to cut some bridge timbers - lots of heat, lots of
smoke, not much cutting.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Old Nick

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:40:41 -0500, Jonathan Goodish
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Ok OK. You admitted to a really daft act. The guy made a mild
reference to trolling. He still gave good advice, to someone who
admits to being a newbie, and who did a daft thing with a chainsaw.
There is not much room for that with chainsaws. Let's let it alone?

BTW I am not taking sides here. I have bever heard of or from Wilson
Lamb before TMK.
Old Nick

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:35:33 -0800, "....Ken"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Wilson Lamb" wrote in message
k.net...
Well, letting the smoke out is never a good thing to do.
You should touch up the chain every time you fill the tank. More if you

work.

I think Wilson may be holding some kind of smoke in his lungs too long.

Why? Because he suggests toucjing up the chain each tankful? Common
and good advice!
Bruce Sinclair

In article , Old Nick wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:35:33 -0800, "....Ken"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Wilson Lamb" wrote in message
nk.net...
Well, letting the smoke out is never a good thing to do.
You should touch up the chain every time you fill the tank. More if you

work.

I think Wilson may be holding some kind of smoke in his lungs too long.

Why? Because he suggests toucjing up the chain each tankful? Common
and good advice!

... for no other reason than it makes cutting much easier.

Bruce

the bad things. = Terry Pratchett. Jingo.

(if there were any)

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:56:53 -0800, Tim Douglass
wrote:

McCulloch

Smoked like crazy because about half the gas had
evaporated, leaving a pretty oil-rich mix, but I was sure surprised
when it fired up.

It's a McCulloch. I wouldn't rave about them as saws, but they have a
very good little ignition system. You can buy it as a spare part and
I've fitted it to several old engines ('50s vintage) to much improve
cold starting.
--
Smert' spamionam
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
diesel_fuel wrote:

You say
-----------------------------------
I started into some oak about 12" in diameter I worked through this for
about an hour
7 or 8 cuts until the bar and chain
were smoking so badly
------------------------------------
this is a very blunt chainsaw
less than 10 seconds per cut for a sharp chain

I didn't say that it took me an hour to make 7 or 8 cuts, I said that I
had been cutting for about an hour, but it became progressively more
difficult to cut.

In any case, you're right, with a sharp chain on this saw it is just a
few seconds per cut.

In any case, I do have a filing kit w/guides, so I am going to give that
a go and see what happens.

Thanks to all for your replies.

JKG
Napalm Heart

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article ,
diesel_fuel wrote:

You say
-----------------------------------
I started into some oak about 12" in diameter I worked through

this for
about an hour
7 or 8 cuts until the bar and chain
were smoking so badly
------------------------------------
this is a very blunt chainsaw
less than 10 seconds per cut for a sharp chain

I didn't say that it took me an hour to make 7 or 8 cuts, I said

that I
had been cutting for about an hour, but it became progressively more
difficult to cut.

In any case, you're right, with a sharp chain on this saw it is just

few seconds per cut.

In any case, I do have a filing kit w/guides, so I am going to give

that
a go and see what happens.

Thanks to all for your replies.

JKG

I haven't followed this thread all the way through, but I'll add that
I use a Dremel with a chainsaw blade sharpening kit on it with
excellent results and no more material removal than filing would
cause. It's a lot quicker than filing.

Ken (MI)

SELLCOM Tech support

"Wilson Lamb" posted on that vast internet
thingie:

In my 50 years
of being close to chainsaws, I've never seen a smoking bar

In all fairness to the other guy, I had a situation where the little
holes in the bar had gotten plugged up with sawdust and things were
getting pretty hot. More to your point I immediately stopped before
completely trashing the bar and troubleshooted the problem.

I think we would all agree that when using a chain saw if anything is
not "normal", STOP immediately and find out what the problem is.

I remember another time when (I don't know *HOW* it could have
happened) the oil cap on the saw had not been properly tightened and
had popped open. I'm glad I stopped since I don't think that would
have been covered under warranty.

Steve at SELLCOM
--
http://www.sellcom.com
Discount multihandset cordless phones by Panasonic AT&T,