Bobby_M

Default A/C Return Air Transfer Grills between rooms?

If it were my home, I would do as you're suggesting as far from
opposite the supply vent as you can get it. Don't cut studs, just
position the registers in between. For privacy, the louvers should
provide enough. If sound transmission is a concern, you might want to
vertically offset the vents on either side and use the wall cavity as a
short duct, lining the interior of the drywall (between your two cuts)
with a duct liner such as :
http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/out.../page_394.html to keep
the sound from bouncing between.

I don't think you have to create a frame inside your cut outs since
each stud cavity is likely sealed off. It certainly wouldn't hurt, but
is probably more work than is necessary.

I very much dislike doors that are undercut. For one thing, hot air
rises and an undercut door is sucking cool air out and leaving the hot
air in the room. Besides, it just looks bad.

Dave L.

Doug,

You are on the right track. You can't blow air into a coke bottle.

The return air duct your talking about doesn't have to be over the door. But
further away from the supply duct to the room is a good idea.

Commercial sites use 'cross-talk silencers' I think is the phrase. A duct that
goes up, over to the next room and then back down into the ceiling again. Any
decorative grill would work that allows the air to flow through freely. Remember
that a fan is pushing the air into the rooms and that same fan must suck it out.
So make it bigger than the supply duct. For sound isolation, the metal duct is
coated internally with this black fibreglass insulation. It keeps the sound down
a lot between the spaces.

You can make them up yourself or get a sheet metal shop to make them for you.
They do the insulation very neatly as well. Shape them to suit your construction
needs. As long as the over all shape is a big letter C, then it should work fine.

Dave

In article .com,
wrote:

I live in S. Florida and want install transfer grills above the doors
of our bedrooms to increase the return air flow back to the main return
grill in the livingroom. Currently the doors are slightly cut on the
bottom but I don't believe it provides the proper amount of return air.

Snip"

Room in house is too warm, will adding a return air duct help the airflow in it? SA Development Home Repair 13 August 25th 05 07:37 PM
Transfer switch or cutoff switch? rh455 Home Repair 26 July 29th 05 02:03 AM
Return ducts in basement reducing heating efficiency?! jeff Home Repair 5 November 9th 04 09:38 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM