Default lawnboy compression question

Replaced the ignition coil on an M-Series Lawnboy. Wire was frayed.
Now I am having a hard time starting it (and I was having troubles
before I replaced the ignition coil, so I might have had more then one
problem). When I pull the cord, absolutely nothing happens.

I do get a spark, so that is not the problem.

I wonder about the compression. According to the repari manuals I've
read you are supposed to test compression by putting your finder over
the spark plug hole. It should blow off when you pull the cord. Mine
does not. And when you turn the flywheel counterclockwise it's
supposed to recoil in the opposite direction if your compression is
good. Mine does not. However, on the other hand, another manual said
that your compression is good if the pull on the cord is uneven, which
mine is. So then I wasn't sure. Can anyone give any further insight
on how I would go about trouble-shooting this problem?

What might be most telling is the fact that sometimes when I pull the
cord the engine backfires. Is that indicative of anything?

Thank you for your time,
Brian

when new it shouls have 150 pounds of compression on the 2 stroke
engiine. 125 pounds will run but is harder to start. lucas

Still no luck. It either does nothing with each pull or it backfires.

Muffler is not clogged.

As far as the timing goes, I removed the flywheel and checked the key
and the thing was fine. Could the timing be screwed up internally?

This is, in fact, a two stroke engine.

Brian

if you have good compression and spark, and it wont run with a dose of
gas poured in the carb, you may want to take off muffler and see if the
crankshaft seal has popped out. there is also a crank seal on the top of
the engine. if it does fire up with a dose of gas then your carb may
have dirt or water in it. also be sure the crankcase bolts are snug.if
you dont have good compression ,nothing on the tuneup end will help.
lucas

Stupid question of the day.... BSP screw-in plumbing connections [email protected] UK diy 6 March 22nd 05 11:17 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM