Sherman

Default Coil Spring Laying on Driveway - What is it?

http://www.stormyranch.com/carparts.htm

This 2 inch coil spring was laying under my 93 Ford Ranger Truck. I
have no idea what it goes to.
Can you help?

RRW

It appears to be a spring from a tensioner pulley that keeps the
serpentine belt in tension on the engine. Without this the belt would
be loose and fall off, so if your belt is still on and working it is
from another car.

Sherman wrote:
http://www.stormyranch.com/carparts.htm

This 2 inch coil spring was laying under my 93 Ford Ranger Truck. I
have no idea what it goes to.
Can you help?

Sherman

Sherman wrote:
http://www.stormyranch.com/carparts.htm

This 2 inch coil spring was laying under my 93 Ford Ranger Truck. I
have no idea what it goes to.
Can you help?

Yikes!
The wife has taken the truck to work, 29 miles away. I'll check it
out when she gets home- If she gets home.

RRW

After seeing Red Cloud's response, I think he is right and your wife
will make it home ok on one hinge spring (BGR)

Mark and Kim Smith

Sherman wrote:

http://www.stormyranch.com/carparts.htm

This 2 inch coil spring was laying under my 93 Ford Ranger Truck. I
have no idea what it goes to.
Can you help?

Unless you are very good at maintaining your hood springs and have
prevented 12 years of rust and crud, I would have a look at that belt
tensioner. Check your trans shift linkage and the area around your trans.

Jeff Wisnia

Sherman wrote:
http://www.stormyranch.com/carparts.htm

This 2 inch coil spring was laying under my 93 Ford Ranger Truck. I
have no idea what it goes to.
Can you help?

Heat riser thermostat spring.

Wot? They haven't used them in HOW many years.... :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Sherman

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:27:12 GMT, Red Cloud©
wrote:

On 15 Sep 2005 12:14:11 -0700, "RRW" wrote:

After seeing Red Cloud's response, I think he is right and your wife
will make it home ok on one hinge spring (BGR)

I also think it's possibly from another vehicle and got thrown up into
the undercarriage. It then waited and fell out of it's hiding place
while parked in the driveway.

Not having anything to compare it for scale, it could also be the
heating element from the cigar lighter!!! LOL

rusty redcloud

The coil is 2 inches in diameter and the spring is quite heavy - 5
oz.
..
Mark

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Sherman wrote:
http://www.stormyranch.com/carparts.htm

This 2 inch coil spring was laying under my 93 Ford Ranger Truck. I
have no idea what it goes to.
Can you help?

Heat riser thermostat spring.

Wot? They haven't used them in HOW many years.... :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Thats what I thought too.

Check to see if your spring is bi-metallic.
Heat it up and see if it turns.

Mark

Stormin Mormon

Lifter spring from one side of the hinge for the hood.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Sherman wrote:
http://www.stormyranch.com/carparts.htm

This 2 inch coil spring was laying under my 93 Ford Ranger Truck. I
have no idea what it goes to.
Can you help?

Sherman

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:31:23 GMT, Sherman wrote:

http://www.stormyranch.com/carparts.htm

This 2 inch coil spring was laying under my 93 Ford Ranger Truck. I
have no idea what it goes to.
Can you help?

One of the guys on the ranger forum says it is a power window spring.

That makes sense because I have a window regulator dismantled on a
Saturn right next to the ranger. However, it must have flew out while
I wasn't looking as I have never seen such an animal before and have
no idea where it goes.

Grandpa

Sherman wrote:
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:31:23 GMT, Sherman wrote:

http://www.stormyranch.com/carparts.htm

This 2 inch coil spring was laying under my 93 Ford Ranger Truck. I
have no idea what it goes to.
Can you help?

One of the guys on the ranger forum says it is a power window spring.

That makes sense because I have a window regulator dismantled on a
Saturn right next to the ranger. However, it must have flew out while
I wasn't looking as I have never seen such an animal before and have
no idea where it goes.

It ain't a hood spring, Ranger's don't have them. Most likely out of
your Saturn door regulator; we used to call them "Jesus springs" cause
every time they took off like that you'd hear someone say, "Jesus
Christ, where did that go to?"

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.

Ignition coil failure on old 14hp Kohler Scott Willing Home Repair 20 April 18th 18 11:44 PM
Broken garage door spring Paul Franklin Home Repair 8 July 27th 06 02:51 PM
Homemade Coil Spring Compressor T.C. Mann Metalworking 2 May 1st 05 03:21 PM
Ignition coil Backlash Metalworking 16 December 7th 04 03:40 AM
Rewinding pc coil for 9-1270 Zenith boards ?? anyone know inductance? 9-1270-02 9-1270-3 mod# SR3587DT Dave Moore Electronics Repair 3 September 4th 03 11:25 PM