The Ranger

Default First Alert Wired Smoke & Fire?

During our remodel (Man! It's already been six years ago!), the
electrician added smoke-and-fire alarms throughout the house. I really
liked this until recently. The entire first floor's units (six total)
have started randomly beeping. I replace the batteries twice-yearly
(Daylight Savings swings) so it's not that -- especially since the
entire second floor are still silent unless I run a test. I can only
think that each of these beeping units have gotten some dust or debris
on their smoke sensors. Since the electric variety do not have
replicable sensors, how do I go about "cleaning" them -- or would it be
best to simply replace each unit?

Secondly, the Cupertino branch of Home Despot no longer sells First
Alert units. They sell another brand (Pirex, I think). Since I'm
familiar with First Alert products, I tend to shy away from
alternatives. Are there other products that are comparable (both in cost
and quality?)

Many thanks!

The Ranger

SQLit

"The Ranger" wrote in message
[...]

With them wired together it only takes one to be dirty. VERY ODD that the
second floor is not sounding as well. I would think that your local fire
code would want ALL of the horns working together.

Cleaning the heads is a good idea. DO NOT touch the lenses(s) with your
fingers. Fingers have oil and oil attracts dirt. A can of compressed air
might do the trick.

I suggest you find out why only the down stairs is working like this. Does
not smell right to me.

Olaf

"SQLit" wrote in message

With them wired together it only takes one to be dirty. VERY ODD that the
second floor is not sounding as well. I would think that your local fire
code would want ALL of the horns working together.

Cleaning the heads is a good idea. DO NOT touch the lenses(s) with your
fingers. Fingers have oil and oil attracts dirt. A can of compressed air
might do the trick.

I suggest you find out why only the down stairs is working like this. Does
not smell right to me.

Superb advice IMO. At my workplace the alarms need to be cleaned once in a
while with compressed air. We use a CO2 tank with a hose hooked to it on a
valve. The CO2 is under quite a bit of pressure and does the trick nicely.

When one detector sends the alarm signal to the main panel it sounds the
alarms throughout the entire house.

From the sounds of the OP's post these are individual alarms that aren't
tied together in any way. A can of computer duster stuff would probably do
the trick. Just keep the can upright!