Jonathan Grobe

Default Home Heating Options for Rural Midwest Residents?

Currently I heat with heating oil with an old, inefficient
furnace and with the massive increase in energy prices I
am looking at alternatives. Natural gas is NOT available
in my small town. Any thoughts on the various alternatives
which are available and which is the best?

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

bry623

Wood buning stove, or pellet burners would be cheap. I am stuck with
propane and propane accessories.

--
bry623
bry623's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=33

Edwin Pawlowski

"bry623" wrote in message

Wood buning stove, or pellet burners would be cheap. I am stuck with
propane and propane accessories.

There is talk of a possible pellet shortage due to the increased use.

If a pellet shortage does develop, and it well may, it won't be from
overuse, but rather the US 32% tax on wood products from Canada. The lumber
mills create the raw material for the pellet mills (sawdust), and production
has been cut way back A large percentage of wood pellets sold in the
northern US are from Canada.

I have an acquaintance who sells pellets in New England, and he is now
ordering them by the traincar load from west of the Rockies. Even with
that, he says pellets this year will cost about 50% more than they did ten
years ago, and that's not too shabby when you look at gas and oil prices
compared to just a few years ago.

"bry623" wrote in message

Wood buning stove, or pellet burners would be cheap. I am stuck with
propane and propane accessories.

--
bry623
bry623's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=33
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=58347

Neon John wrote:

I use the ceramic surface burner heaters that mount of propane tanks
for spot heating. http://www.reverberray.com/products/pt.html. They
have all sorts of warnings about not using these indoors but they work
fine, do not emit CO

Oooo..... you don't mind using these inside?

Id be a bit concerned abt it

Surely you don't run them when sleeping right?

Like you tho....I want something portable.

I wish I could find some kind of portable heater that
is highly mobile but has some kind of neat venting to
the outside

Neon John wrote:

For radiant heat, compare the price of electricity and propane and
choose accordingly.

Do you know of a source of a good portable radiant
elect heater?

Something that is up in the air and point DOWN?

I once bought a electric radiant floor model. It worked
OK but I think a key thing abt radiant heat is that you
mount it somewhat high and have it pointing down.
Agree?
Angrie.Woman

bry623 wrote:
Wood buning stove, or pellet burners would be cheap. I am stuck with
propane and propane accessories.

"Wood" came to my mind too. Our old neighborhood was a suburb of
Indianapolis, and the house I'm thinking of was probably 2700 - 3000 sf.

He heated it with wood all winter, and I never knew it until he told me.
It was nice and cozy.

He did invest in a log splitter of some sort, but most of his wood he
got either for free or by offering to remove fallen trees for a small
fee after big storms came through.

"NotMe" wrote:

Monitor heaters are popular hear abouts. try www.monitorforpresident.com

Do they make a portable vented unit?

Something one could use in an apartment but move easily
if needed?

Noisy new boiler when heating water only David Hearn UK diy 8 May 20th 04 07:44 PM
Heating & insulation for older mobile home Michael T Wing CPA Home Repair 6 December 25th 03 12:34 AM
Home Heating System Tom Home Repair 12 December 22nd 03 04:13 PM
diesel for home heating boiler habbi Metalworking 14 December 21st 03 08:44 AM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM