PVR

Default Wire extension

I have added a sub panel to the main so that I can increase the number of
circuits. To do this I had to move two of the existing breakers to the sub
panel. This was done so I could install a 60 amp double breaker to feed the
sub panel. The existing wires leading into the main panel were too short to
reach the sub panel. I extended them using twist-on connectors in the main
panel. This works OK and all outlets have correct polarities, etc.

My question. Is this an acceptable method of extending the length of
existing circuit wires? If not, how should this be done?

Many thanks.

Peter.

John Grabowski

It would have been better to remove the wires entirely from the main panel
and install a junction box or two nearby and extend the wires from the
junction box to the subpanel. It is not always acceptable to use the main
panel as a junction box.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"PVR" wrote in message
I have added a sub panel to the main so that I can increase the number of
circuits. To do this I had to move two of the existing breakers to the sub
panel. This was done so I could install a 60 amp double breaker to feed

the
sub panel. The existing wires leading into the main panel were too short

reach the sub panel. I extended them using twist-on connectors in the main
panel. This works OK and all outlets have correct polarities, etc.

My question. Is this an acceptable method of extending the length of
existing circuit wires? If not, how should this be done?

Many thanks.

Peter.

SQLit

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
It would have been better to remove the wires entirely from the main panel
and install a junction box or two nearby and extend the wires from the
junction box to the subpanel. It is not always acceptable to use the main
panel as a junction box.

Not exactly true there are residential panels produced today that have a
"rated wire way" in the UL listing for this very purpose.

You will need to check with the panel manufacture.

I would recommend if the panel is not have a rated wire way then remove the
wires and put them into a junction box with a blank cover. Label the cover
as to what the circuits are.

Pop

I think you've gotten a couple of accurate responses to your
question. Being the curious type, I'd like to know why you're
asking if, as it sounds, you have already done the work? Is
something or someone giving you problems? This kind of quest is
usually asked beforehand.

Regards,
PopS

:
: My question. Is this an acceptable method of extending the
length of
: existing circuit wires? If not, how should this be done?
:
: Many thanks.
:
: Peter.
:
:

PVR

Agreed, and I shall install a blanked junction box ASAP.

True, I already have done the work using screw-on connectors. But now I have
had second thoughts and it is no big deal to do it right.

Peter.

"PVR" wrote in message
[...]

Dan

"PVR" wrote in message
[...]

You already did it right! Relax.

Dan, and yes I am a residential electrical inspector.
Tim Fischer

wrote in message
Wirenuts work but there are better splicing methods for big wire. Look
at Ilsco.com (or whatever it is) There are other companies and they do
make some pretty insulated splicing blocks

He never mentioned big wire -- he said he had to move 2 branch circuits --
so most likely it's 14 or 12 gauge wire.

-Tim