Default rust on stainless cooktop

I have a brand new gaggenau cooktop and it gets rust spots if you don't
wipe it dry every time its used. Is there something you can treat it
with that will make it more like real stainless steel (it doesn't seem
to be very stainless)? I was thinking of using the rust-oleum clear
appliance spray enamel. Also some stainless "polishes" claim to resist
moisture. Whats the best thing to do?

Val

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a brand new gaggenau cooktop and it gets rust spots if you don't
wipe it dry every time its used. Is there something you can treat it
with that will make it more like real stainless steel (it doesn't seem
to be very stainless)? I was thinking of using the rust-oleum clear
appliance spray enamel. Also some stainless "polishes" claim to resist
moisture. Whats the best thing to do?

Val

Rusting stainless? Sounds like it is inferior material. I don't thing the
clear spray is going to do a good job. I'd use some of the rest
preventative sprays that we use for keeping cast iron took surfaces rust
free. Top Cote and Boeshield are very good. You can find them at
www.leevalley.com

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43415&p=43440

While there, look for the jar opener. Great little gadget that really works.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,40734

Noozer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a brand new gaggenau cooktop and it gets rust spots if you don't
wipe it dry every time its used. Is there something you can treat it
with that will make it more like real stainless steel (it doesn't seem
to be very stainless)? I was thinking of using the rust-oleum clear
appliance spray enamel. Also some stainless "polishes" claim to resist
moisture. Whats the best thing to do?

for stainless steel - which shouldn't rust. He's ripped you off (or he was
ripped off)

BobK207

The stainless cooktop might be 400 series stainless (for high polish
look) rather than 300 series (more often a brushed finish)

400 stainless is normally magnetic, 300 stainless typically not
magnetic (but can be magnetic depending on alloy & cold working)

400 stainless does have the corrosion resistance of 300 series

Contact the dealer & the mfr for more information.

cheers
Bob

Some of the so-called stainless steel coming out of China is pretty
crappy, they cheat a lot on standards, and American importers play
along because the price is right. I don't know if this is the case with
your appliance, but it wouldn't surprise me.-Jitney

yeah, great advice. I'll just toss my custom countertop made for the
units and get my money back so I can get something I don't have to
polish.

Amun

wrote in message
oups.com...
yeah, great advice. I'll just toss my custom countertop made for the
units and get my money back so I can get something I don't have to
polish.

If your stainless steel "rusts"
??????

And you don't want to polish it all the time or replace it.

Paint it.!

AMUN

thrugoodmarshall

There are a lot of materials out there called "stainless" steel.
I'm not going to cut & paste from their publications; you can quite easily
read what they have to say at:
http://www.ssina.com/publications/index.html

You may especially be interested in:
Care and cleaning: http://www.ssina.com/publications/ccss.html
Residential applications: http://www.ssina.com/publications/stn_rez.html

There is a technique called "passivation" that can make the "stainless"
steel more resistant to corrosion. When I worked for a healthcare
manufacturer, everything was made of stainless, and everything had to be
passivated before it went into production. Passivation is a nasty process,
and should probably NOT be done at home. However, here are some links if
you want to learn...

Overview of passivation:
http://www.pfonline.com/articles/119806.html

The pertinent sentence from the above page:
"In lay terms, the passivation process removes "free iron" contamination
left behind on the surface of the stainless steel from machining and
fabricating."

Nitric acid process for passivation:
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Mat...assivation.htm

Citric acid process for passivation:
http://www.pfonline.com/articles/059905.html

wrote:

I have a brand new gaggenau cooktop and it gets rust spots if you don't
wipe it dry every time its used. Is there something you can treat it
with that will make it more like real stainless steel (it doesn't seem
to be very stainless)? I was thinking of using the rust-oleum clear
appliance spray enamel. Also some stainless "polishes" claim to resist
moisture. Whats the best thing to do?

Val

Abe

Overview of passivation:
http://www.pfonline.com/articles/119806.html

The pertinent sentence from the above page:
"In lay terms, the passivation process removes "free iron" contamination
left behind on the surface of the stainless steel from machining and
fabricating."

Nitric acid process for passivation:
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Mat...assivation.htm

Citric acid process for passivation:
http://www.pfonline.com/articles/059905.html

The citric acid procedure sounds doable for a homeowner if you can get
the acid to stay in contact with the SS long enough. Maybe a cloth
saturated with the citric acid solution can be laid on the SS surface
for 20 minutes or so.

Frank J Warner

In article .net,
thrugoodmarshall wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the passivation links. I've been using nitric acid for years
to etch my stainless blades, mainly ATS-34, S-30-V and some
pattern-welded blends. Always called it "etching" or "pickling" and
mainly did it to bring out the grain in the steel. Never knew the
precise mechanism behind it.

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:

Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Tool Rust Comment LRod Woodworking 9 April 3rd 05 11:26 PM
Question about rust Mike in Mystic Woodworking 46 January 27th 04 04:03 AM
Satin finish Fridge & Stainless Steel Appliances OK? calberto Home Ownership 1 September 8th 03 12:35 AM