Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Central A/C Problem : Blower

Unit is approximately 15 years old. A year or so ago they installed a
pump to pump out the condensation. I noticed today that the house
wasn't very cool so I checked the thermostadt and it's 79 even though
it's set for 74. Then I notice the blowers aren't working. I check
the unit in the basement and there is water dripping from the unit and
the pump doesn't seem to be shooting out any water. I check and see
the pilot light is out. I relight it, and a few minutes later the pump
turns on and shoots out a load of water, but the blower still isn't
working.

It's a chicken and the egg type situation. Did another problem cause
the pilot light to go out or did the pilot light go out for some fluky
reason and it affected the operation of the pump?

The pump is plugged into a regular outlet, so I assume lighting the
pilot and the pump suddenly doing something is coincidence?

Any guesses as to what is going on? When my elderly neighbor had a
similar problem (the outside and inside unit ran but no air being
blown), the technician tried to walk her through fixing it herself, so
I assume there's something fairly simple I am missing?

Thanks in advance.