Walter R.

Default How tall a ladder?

Painting my house. I can reach all facia boards and gutters of my single
story house with a 6' stepladder.

Only the facia boards at the cathedral ceiling section are up to 12' above
the level ground. I need to repair/paint these facia boards.

Will it be save to use an 8' stepladder or an 8' (16') extension ladder? I
don't want to invest a fortune in a ladder that I use only rarely and only
for a few feet. But, I am standing here, scratching my head.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Ken

Walter R. wrote:
Painting my house. I can reach all facia boards and gutters of my single
story house with a 6' stepladder.

Only the facia boards at the cathedral ceiling section are up to 12' above
the level ground. I need to repair/paint these facia boards.

Will it be save to use an 8' stepladder or an 8' (16') extension ladder? I
don't want to invest a fortune in a ladder that I use only rarely and only
for a few feet. But, I am standing here, scratching my head.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

A 16 foot extension ladder would be best to reach the top of a gable.
Although you could stand on the top step of an 8 foot step ladder,
that's considered unsafe, and I would be remiss if I suggested that you
do that. Here is an example of what you might want (watch out for line
wrap):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...212001?afsrc=1

$119 is a bit pricey for what sounds like it would be very limited use
for you. Maybe see if you can borrow a neighbor's ladder? Or maybe go
halvsies with a neighbor who might want to use it also? Or maybe you
can rent a ladder for the infrequent use you would have for it?

Ken

willshak

On 9/9/2005 4:45 PM US(ET), Ken took fingers to keys, and typed the=20
following:

Walter R. wrote:
=20

[...]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...-20/ref=3Dnos=

im/002-8845829-6212001?afsrc=3D1

$119 is a bit pricey for what sounds like it would be very limited use
for you. Maybe see if you can borrow a neighbor's ladder? Or maybe go
halvsies with a neighbor who might want to use it also? Or maybe you
can rent a ladder for the infrequent use you would have for it?

Ken

A similar ladder is $89. at Lowes.
Werner=AE 16' Aluminum Extension Ladder, Type II
Item #: 212664 Model: D1216-2

225 lbs. load capacity
Slip-resistant Traction-Tred=AE D-rungs
Mar-resistant end caps
Stong modified I-beam rails
Shoe rests flat or is held in spur position with Shu-Lok=AE feature
Exclusive Alflo=AE rung joint means Twist-Proof=AE performance

--=20
Bill

RicodJour

Walter R. wrote:
Painting my house. I can reach all facia boards and gutters of my single
story house with a 6' stepladder.

Only the facia boards at the cathedral ceiling section are up to 12' above
the level ground. I need to repair/paint these facia boards.

Will it be save to use an 8' stepladder or an 8' (16') extension ladder? I
don't want to invest a fortune in a ladder that I use only rarely and only
for a few feet. But, I am standing here, scratching my head.

Get a good combination ladder. The Little Giant ladders are great, but
kind of pricey. For a less expensive version:
http://tinyurl.com/abv99

Walter R. wrote:
Painting my house. I can reach all facia boards and gutters of my single
story house with a 6' stepladder.

Only the facia boards at the cathedral ceiling section are up to 12' above
the level ground. I need to repair/paint these facia boards.

Will it be save to use an 8' stepladder or an 8' (16') extension ladder? I
don't want to invest a fortune in a ladder that I use only rarely and only
for a few feet. But, I am standing here, scratching my head.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

rent a ladder or borrow from a neighbour
-

George E. Cawthon

Walter R. wrote:
Painting my house. I can reach all facia boards and gutters of my single
story house with a 6' stepladder.

Only the facia boards at the cathedral ceiling section are up to 12' above
the level ground. I need to repair/paint these facia boards.

Will it be save to use an 8' stepladder or an 8' (16') extension ladder? I
don't want to invest a fortune in a ladder that I use only rarely and only
for a few feet. But, I am standing here, scratching my head.

Whatever happened to people making there own
ladders? Figure out what height of non-adjustable
ladder would work, or make two ladders, or paint
high first and cut off for a lower elevation).
Get two 2x4 of that length and a long enough 3/4"
x 4" wide board to cut into 18" lengths to make
steps every 12-14" and use four 2" screws in each
step. So what does that lumber and screws cost?
I made a similar ladder which has been in
service for about 30 years (used nails not screws
and only recently put in a few screws)
BTW, the bottom of the first step should be not
more than 4" from the end of the 2x4. Use Doug
fir 2x4s, pine 1x4s and wallboard screws (no
drilling) and take 20 minutes to make it. It will
be as strong or stronger than any ladder you could
buy. The only down side is that the part you
stand on is only 3/4" wide so you can't use moccasins.
Colbyt

"Walter R." wrote in message
Painting my house. I can reach all facia boards and gutters of my single
story house with a 6' stepladder.

Only the facia boards at the cathedral ceiling section are up to 12' above
the level ground. I need to repair/paint these facia boards.

Will it be save to use an 8' stepladder or an 8' (16') extension ladder? I
don't want to invest a fortune in a ladder that I use only rarely and only
for a few feet. But, I am standing here, scratching my head.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Extension ladders do not fully extend. There must be some overlap. So you
get numbers like this
16' extends to 13'
20' entends to 17'

Ladders are rated type I, II, III. Buy what you need for your body weight.
The more heavy the duty the stronger and heavier a ladder is. A type II 20
aluminum is about all I can wreste into place by myself anymore.

Extension ladders feel quite different from a step ladder. I am never
comfortable with my head more than a foot or so above the top of an
extension ladder.

A 16' one is large enough for you to reach your project but you may wind up
standing on a single step instead of having a double one underfoot because
the doubled steps only reach so high. Depending on your comfort level this
may justify buying one size bigger.

Other have posted some good links and if you shop you should be able to meet
or beat those prices.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.