Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Robert11

Default Outside Wiring With PVC Pipe ?

Hello:

This relates to a question I posted a little while ago.
Answers got me thinking a bit more on this, which i guess I should have
beforehand.
I'll copy my original question below, for reference.

I was thinking of putting up an outside house flood light I mentioned by
using the standard 1/2 PVC pipe to run
the wires inside from where they come thru the house siding to a few feet
above, where I want to put the flood light.
Turns, etc. would be by using the Bell junction type plastic outside boxes.

Bought a bunch of those fitting you use with PVC, and are attached "by
welding" together with a solvent.

Now I'm wondering if I bought the right things:

Are these solvent fastened fittings Code compliant for outside wiring where
the PVC tubing and fittings would be hugging the outside house wall ?

Or, must I use these liquid tight metal connectors ?
**(I don't know if they come in plastic also; do they ?)

Is the Code specific on this ?

Thanks,
B.
-----------
Hello:

Regarding those Bell electrical outdoor junction boxes:

Want to put up an outdoor light on the outside of the house.

NM wire would be coming thru house siding into one of these junction boxes.

The part of the box that will be laying against the siding has a threaded
hole
for the wire (or some other fitting) to go thru.

It's a pretty rough thread.

Questions:

a. Is it Code required that the NM wire from the house side be clamped
where it enters this type of box ?

b. If so, should I use one of those NM wire fittings that one uses with the
regular indoor metal junction boxes that clamps the wire, as well as
providing a threaded section on the other end ?

c. Or, just lead the NM into the box and live with it brushing against the
internal threaded hole of the box ?
(do they make a bushing for this purpose; couldn't find anything
appropriate at HD ?)