willshak

On 9/9/2005 1:01 PM US(ET), Robert11 took fingers to keys, and typed the =

following:

Hello:

This relates to a question I posted a little while ago.
Answers got me thinking a bit more on this, which i guess I should have =

beforehand.
I'll copy my original question below, for reference.

I was thinking of putting up an outside house flood light I mentioned by=

=20
using the standard 1/2 PVC pipe to run
the wires inside from where they come thru the house siding to a few fee=

t=20
above, where I want to put the flood light.
Turns, etc. would be by using the Bell junction type plastic outside box=

es.

Bought a bunch of those fitting you use with PVC, and are attached "by=20
welding" together with a solvent.

Now I'm wondering if I bought the right things:

Are these solvent fastened fittings Code compliant for outside wiring wh=

ere=20
the PVC tubing and fittings would be hugging the outside house wall ?

Or, must I use these liquid tight metal connectors ?
**(I don't know if they come in plastic also; do they ?)

Is the Code specific on this ?

In most jurisdictions, you will have to get a permit to install electric =

service and that installation has to be approved and signed off by an=20
electrical inspector.
I am not an electrician, but I will assume that there is a specific code =

for plastic pipe used for electrical conduit for the following reasons.
1. My pool electric is supplied by plastic pipe running from my main=20
breaker box to a sub panel by the pool. The pipe is grey, not white,=20
black, or any other color.
2. I had electric service run to a new sunroom installed on the back of=20
my house. Due to a slab foundation by the sunroom, the electric had to=20
be conduited through the wall of the basement and then underground to=20
the sunroom. Grey plastic pipe again. (Both of these installations have=20
a molded 90=BA elbow with a screwed on door for access into the elbow=20
outside of the foundation wall).
3. I watched a union electrician install a new 200 amp breaker box in a=20
home that only had 100 amp. He said he had to put the main ground wire=20
into plastic pipe running to the rod stuck in the ground outside the=20
foundation. He did not have any pipe with him and was going to run to HD =

to get some when I offered to get some pipe from my garage. He said it=20
had to be grey pipe to meet code. I only had white pipe, so he made the=20
HD run.
All of these incidents happened in NY. Your results may vary. Check with =

your local building department or electrical inspector for confirmation.=

--=20
Bill