TSW

Default How many High Output Strips to one light socket?

I have three light sockets in my garage with just regular 60 or 75 watt
bulbs in them, all on one circuit. I want to install 8' long, high
output fluorescent strips in their place. Could I safely wire two
strips to one socket?

Also, these strips would be flushmounted to the drywall ceiling. I
thought I read somewhere that these ballasts could reach high temps of
190 degrees or so. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

TSW wrote:
I have three light sockets in my garage with just regular 60 or 75 watt
bulbs in them, all on one circuit. I want to install 8' long, high
output fluorescent strips in their place. Could I safely wire two
strips to one socket?

Also, these strips would be flushmounted to the drywall ceiling. I
thought I read somewhere that these ballasts could reach high temps of
190 degrees or so. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Thanks

Not enough information.

For starters you need to get more information on the specific lighting
fixtures you are planning to buy. You need to know the total wattage (lamps
and ballast) for each fixture. You also need to check to see if they are
designed for direct mount and if they have any special mounting
requirements.

Next you need to know if all three of those lamps are on the same
circuit. I would guess they are. Likely they are #14 wire so it will
handle 15 amps. That should easily handle a 1,000+ watts, assuming there is
nothing else on that circuit. Unless you are planning to grow pot in that
garage, you should be OK with the power requirements unless you have another
heavy load on that circuit. Which is the second bit of information we can
not tell from here.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

TSW

Okay, did some investigating. On that 15 amp circuit, there are the
three light sockets (on two switches if that helps), two outlets, and
one garage door opener (6.5 amps).

The 8 foot lamps are 110 w each (times 8 if I were to install four
fixtures), and the ballasts are 120 v, 60 Hz, with 2.14 amps line
current. No special mounting instructions

I'm guessing this means I might not use my opener with four of these
fixtures turned on.. or perhaps just barely, and would have to use an
outlet from another circuit for certain power tools.

Thoughts?

Joseph Meehan

TSW wrote:
Okay, did some investigating. On that 15 amp circuit, there are the
three light sockets (on two switches if that helps), two outlets, and
one garage door opener (6.5 amps).

The 8 foot lamps are 110 w each (times 8 if I were to install four
fixtures), and the ballasts are 120 v, 60 Hz, with 2.14 amps line
current. No special mounting instructions

I'm guessing this means I might not use my opener with four of these
fixtures turned on.. or perhaps just barely, and would have to use an
outlet from another circuit for certain power tools.

Thoughts?

I would rate those fixtures at something around 250 - 300W each as you
need to account for the power consumed by the ballast.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit