Stormin Mormon

Default A funny smell in the pantry

Ah, sometimes folks just don't know the basics.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

==============================
Reposted from another list:
Ok, I need a quick answer if anyone's online right now and knows what to
do.....for the past week or so, I've notice a funny strong odor coming
from out pantry area, which is also right next to the "exhaust" of a gas
fireplace that usually has the pilot always on. The pantry door has one
of those "doggie doors" so it is not air tight. Also about a week ago, I
took off the glass piece to the fireplace and cleaned it, at that time I
noticed the pilot light was on. .....I just walked by it and noticed
that it's OFF, and started putting two and two together?.....Do you
think that's what I'm smelling? Is gas continuing to flow out and it's
working it's way into the pantry since it's so close by? We've never had
a gas fireplace before so I'm not familiar with "gas".....Can you get
sick from it? A few times in the last week I've had a blastin
headache....and I'm not sure but I think it was shortyly after putting
groceries away in there at the same time...... It smells like a sharpie
marker....and I've kept thinking that's what the smell is since I label
everything in the pantry with those markers for dating....but wouldn't
they fade in smell? This seems to have gotten really strong. I put a
carbon filter in there that said it takes 8 hours to work, no luck. It's
not rotten food as all is very current, canned and sealed, there are no
open packages and the area is very clean.
Anyhow, so like an idiot, I lit a candle, hoping that would help get rid
of the smell before I realized it might be the gas.....and am on my way
back there to get it out of there now......
Any thoughts?????Probably 60% of the storage in there is #10 cans....do
they have an odor? I turned on the furnace fan to see if I could air it
out...still smells, finally opened the door to the outside.
Any advice? If you hear of a small explosion in the northwest that
wipes out half the state of Washington and you have to dig through
potato pearls to find me.....you'll all be able to tell the news
reporters what happened.....deleted in washington