hhk

Default Natural Gas Timer Valve?

I have a natural gas BBQ and I can't tell you how many times I've left
it on overnight or even for a couple of days. I think old age is
setting in.

I was thinking about adding some sort of timer valve on my gas supply
line but my local HVAC contractor tells me that such a thing does not
exist.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of such a device or can think of a
solution to this problem.

HK
Pagan

"hhk" wrote in message
I have a natural gas BBQ and I can't tell you how many times I've left
it on overnight or even for a couple of days. I think old age is
setting in.

I was thinking about adding some sort of timer valve on my gas supply
line but my local HVAC contractor tells me that such a thing does not
exist.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of such a device or can think of a
solution to this problem.

You can use an egg or watch timer, to remind you to turn off the BBQ. Maybe
even a sign, taped to the bedroom doorknob, would help.

You can also go with coal. It's kind of a pain, but perhaps not as much as
changing out and refilling propane tanks.

Pagan

You could always use a solenoid valve and an electrical timer (e.g. an
adjustable delayed-off relay), but it'd almost certainly have to be
custom-built.

You'd still have to take care to not inadvertently turn on the gas
without lighting it, so it'd be a Rube-Goldberg kludge.

Try string on finger, or rubber-band.

HTH,

Edwin Pawlowski

"hhk" wrote in message
I have a natural gas BBQ and I can't tell you how many times I've left it
on overnight or even for a couple of days. I think old age is setting in.

I was thinking about adding some sort of timer valve on my gas supply line
but my local HVAC contractor tells me that such a thing does not exist.

Gas heaters have valves that open and close electrically. You could put one
in line and then use a timer to operate it. There may well be code issues
also. There are other potential problems too, like setting the timer to
open and not be there to light the grill if the burners were left on.
Rather than risk any sort of problem, just set a timer to beep later as a
reminder.

TURTLE

"hhk" wrote in message
I have a natural gas BBQ and I can't tell you how many times I've left it on
overnight or even for a couple of days. I think old age is setting in.

I was thinking about adding some sort of timer valve on my gas supply line but
my local HVAC contractor tells me that such a thing does not exist.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of such a device or can think of a
solution to this problem.

HK

This is Turtle.

It can be done but the devices would have to be made or put together to make it.
One way would bve use a attic fan timer that will let the fan run for 1 minute
to 24 hours and has a mechnical timer and will break a electric contactors. Then
get a 120 volt cellinoid valve and install it in the gas line. Wire up 120 volts
to it and have the timer cut the valve off when it cuts the power off. Also if
you lost power to your home, the valve would shut too.

It can be done but you will have to build it your self or have some one build it
for you.

TURTLE

TP

TURTLE wrote:
"hhk" wrote in message

[...]

I made a safety valve for just what you’re talking about 20
years ago. We used a rain-bird brass lawn irrigation valve.
Connected to a manual timer switch, max 1 hour. I would open the
gas valve, twist the timer, and then light the grill. If I
forgot to shut off the valve, it would only be on for an hour.
As far as I know it is still being used at my old house.

TP