Default removing a beam

I'm planning on removing a beam from by basment.

Currently all it's doing it splitting a 13' 10" span in half for the
2x8 floor joists 16" o.c. above. What I'd like to do is sister on 2 x
10's to each joist to span the distance. This meets spec for L/480
(code is 360) but I'm wondering if the floor will feel bouncy.

Any ideas? It's way overbuilt now and feels really solid. I'm not
sure what L/480 feels like... any opinions?

Gideon

Yellow pages - structural engineers. A few dollars well spent.

kevin

Yup. I'd be real cautious just removing a beam without being real
certain why it was there in the first place. Questions I'd ask myself:
Is there a load above this? Perhaps a column or load bearing wall from
the floor above? Or was there a hot-tub, or massive fish tank? Is this
beam original, or was it added on?

It is also strange that you are asking about how "bouncy" the floor
might be when you yourself provide the exact, numerical answer to your
own question.

There aren't any loads on the beam other than the floor above. It
essentially runs down the centerline of the family room above. I have
a structural engineer redesigning a lot of stuff for me right now. We
talked about removing the beam, and said it would more than meet code.

But code can allow for some harry construction.... I didn't want to end
up with a bouncy floor at the end of the
remodel.

I ran the span numbers using

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...calcstyle.asp?

the existing joists were all #2 Hem-Fir.

Sunken deck beam -- what to do? [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 17th 05 05:37 PM
replace beam with steel Beantown Home Repair 27 April 19th 05 06:08 AM
Level beam but floors still sagging?? Jeff C Home Repair 5 January 23rd 05 02:06 PM
Beam math William Pounds Home Repair 6 September 7th 04 10:46 AM
I Beam Bending Like a Pretzel??? Steve Metalworking 6 August 11th 03 03:08 PM