Pamela G.

Default Can There Be Asbestos Boards In The Firewall?

I hope someone can answer my question. The photo below is a picture of
my den wall. I believe that wall is referred to as a "firewall" because
the other side of that wall is my garage. I'm wondering if there is a
possibility that the boards in that firewall could be made of asbestos?
And if so does anyone know of any websites that show what asbestos wall
board planks look like? This house was built in 1959 or 1960.

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL836.../111093816.jpg

Tom

"Pamela G." wrote in message

I hope someone can answer my question. The photo below is a picture of
my den wall. I believe that wall is referred to as a "firewall" because
the other side of that wall is my garage. I'm wondering if there is a
possibility that the boards in that firewall could be made of asbestos?
And if so does anyone know of any websites that show what asbestos wall
board planks look like? This house was built in 1959 or 1960.

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL836.../111093816.jpg

I would doubt it. Usually a "firewall" between the garage and the living
area has to be of a certain thickness (thicker than normal) of drywall or
plaster so as to retard the spread of fire to the living area long enough to
be able to evacuate the premises should your car or something else stored in
the garage catch fire.
Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"Pamela G." wrote in message

I hope someone can answer my question. The photo below is a picture of
my den wall. I believe that wall is referred to as a "firewall" because
the other side of that wall is my garage. I'm wondering if there is a
possibility that the boards in that firewall could be made of asbestos?

Very doubtful. Firewalls are constructed of sheetrock and solid materials in
most cases. Asbestos is not needed. The idea is that a fire is kept from
spreading for a certain time.

Pamela G.

(Tom)
wrote in message

I would doubt it. Usually a "firewall" between
the garage and the living area has to be of a
certain thickness (thicker than normal) of
drywall or plaster so as to retard the spread
of fire to the living area long enough to be
able to evacuate the premises should your
car or something else stored in the garage
catch fire.
Tom

Thanks, Tom! That puts my mind at ease a bit.

The real issue I have is a shelf that is on the other side of that wall
that was put up by he builder when the house was built. My Dad had used
the shelf to store automobile type items for years. One of the items was
a gallon of distilled water that had sprung a leak. Most of the gallon
of water leaked out onto the shelf. I was cleaning the shelf yesterday
when I noticed a 4" x 4" spot of the shelf that looked "hairy" or kind
of "furry" I touched it and it felt like kind of a cloth texture to it.
I took the vacuum cleaner to it and was surprised to see that the furry
material was really the shelving material that had broken down due to
the water bottle leaking on it. After vacuuming the hairy stuff off, I
can see that the shelf is made of some type of compressed shiny fiber
material that I've never seen before. I wondered if maybe the builder of
this house had a plank of asbestos fiber board left over from building
the firewall and decided to put it to use as a shelf on the other side.

I'm so curious as to what kind of material this shelf could be made of??
It's definitely not wood, and it's definitely not a pressed wood board
like they sell at Home Depot strores. Any ideas?

Tom

[...]

Perhaps it was MDF, which I think stands for Medium Density Fiberboard. It
looks like it is composed of compressed cardboard rather than wood chips and
is usually brown or tan.
Tom.

SQLit

"Pamela G." wrote in message

I hope someone can answer my question. The photo below is a picture of
my den wall. I believe that wall is referred to as a "firewall" because
the other side of that wall is my garage. I'm wondering if there is a
possibility that the boards in that firewall could be made of asbestos?
And if so does anyone know of any websites that show what asbestos wall
board planks look like? This house was built in 1959 or 1960.

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL836.../111093816.jpg

Odds are the wall is 2x4's no insulation and one layer of 1/2 drywall on
both sides. I have never seen "boards" made from asbestos. Siding, tiles,
and concrete pipes but not boards. Asbestos is not a very strong material
compared with structural materials used.

Is this asbestos siding? [email protected] Home Repair 11 August 4th 05 05:10 AM
Wooden Floors andrewpreece UK diy 6 November 17th 04 11:03 PM
hand planing a panel flat Dimit94844 Woodworking 5 November 2nd 04 12:47 AM
How dangerous is 3% asbestos in vinyl flooring? [email protected] Home Repair 21 August 26th 04 07:53 AM
Asbestos in the floor: Advice, please Timbrook99 UK diy 5 November 29th 03 01:39 PM