solozone

Default Fireplace Insert Info

I am doing my research to buy a fireplace insert, may adds describe
that the units are non-catalytic and other catalytic, but no
explaination of what each does/or does not do? Any help on this topic
would be great.

Amun

"solozone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am doing my research to buy a fireplace insert, may adds describe
that the units are non-catalytic and other catalytic, but no
explaination of what each does/or does not do? Any help on this topic
would be great.

I would be a little leery of claims of catalytic anything in an insert.
Temperatures would not really be high enough for much of anything to
function for long before it got sooted up and quit functioning anyway.

Might help if you stated whether you are looking at gas or wood though.

AMUN

Art

If you are getting a gas unit, get one with ceramic glass and highly
efficient so you can use it for heat in case of power failure. THe fan
won't work without power but the ignition will.

"solozone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am doing my research to buy a fireplace insert, may adds describe
that the units are non-catalytic and other catalytic, but no
explaination of what each does/or does not do? Any help on this topic
would be great.

solozone

Sorry, I am looking at a wood burning insert.

solozone

Thanks all, this is what I finally found. This make more sense now,
with a catalytic converter looks like more work, AMUN, your correct...
less headaches with non-catalytic... Thanks all.

How You Can Reduce Emissions
The most effective means to reduce air pollution from wood-burning
appliances is to buy a new, efficient, EPA-certified woodstove, or to
install a catalytic combustor on your existing stove. Catalytic
combustors are honeycomb-shaped devices that improve combustion
efficiency by burning particulate matter and other gases before they
escape up the stove pipe. Catalytic combustors come installed in some
new stoves or may be retrofitted to them. They should be visually
inspected at least three times every heating season and replaced
according the manufacturer's recommendations. Some stove designs use
baffles, secondary combustion chambers, and the introduction of
secondary air to improve combustion efficiency.

Amun

"solozone" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks all, this is what I finally found. This make more sense now,
with a catalytic converter looks like more work, AMUN, your correct...
less headaches with non-catalytic... Thanks all.

How You Can Reduce Emissions
is to buy a new, efficient, EPA-certified woodstove, or to
install a catalytic combustor on your existing stove. Catalytic
combustors are honeycomb-shaped devices that improve combustion
efficiency by burning particulate matter and other gases before they
escape up the stove pipe. Catalytic combustors come installed in some
new stoves or may be retrofitted to them. They should be visually
inspected at least three times every heating season and replaced
according the manufacturer's recommendations. Some stove designs use
baffles, secondary combustion chambers, and the introduction of
secondary air to improve combustion efficiency.

Always amazed at some of the spin marketers can put on features that may
have little or no real world value but cost the buyer big $$$$$.

Falls into the same category as foods at the grocery store that say "low in
fat" on the label.

Wanna keep the air a bit cleaner ?
The REAL most effective means to reduce air pollution from wood-burning
appliances

Don't burn green wood or wood with paint on it.
And learn to use the damper air control properly.

AMUN