M&K

Default Sidewalk reapir

I need to replace a section of my sidewalk ( not the municipal section). Is
there a website detailing the proper proceedure for planning, forming,
mixing, etc?

mm

Bill

M&K wrote in message ...
I need to replace a section of my sidewalk ( not the municipal section). Is
there a website detailing the proper proceedure for planning, forming,
mixing, etc?

Maybe. The public library is loaded with do-it-yourself books,
many of which cover this subject.

User Example

Bill wrote:
M&K wrote in message ...
I need to replace a section of my sidewalk ( not the municipal section). Is
there a website detailing the proper proceedure for planning, forming,
mixing, etc?

Maybe. The public library is loaded with do-it-yourself books,
many of which cover this subject.

Not much too it. Make your form with any wood you have. Use flexible
stuff for curves. Make sure it has a slight slope to one side so water
drains. If it is a long piece make sure to add expansion joints. Add
metal reinforcement wire to prevent cracks. Make sure ground is packed
down, but if you are replacing sidewalk it probably already is.

Mix concrete per directions. You can buy a ready mix (just add water)
or the kind where you add your own gravel/sand. You want it workable
but not soupy.

Pour it and then float it. A long board works good at first. Rest it
on the board of your form and wiggle it back and forth as you move it
down the concrete. That will get it nice and level. Then take a small
float and work it til it is smooth like you like. Use an edge travel to
make the grooves on the side and to make the sidewalk "cracks" where
there aren't expansion joints. You don't need them but they look nice.

After it dries a bit take a broom and brush it to give it that brushed
texture look. Let it dry for awhile (a day is plenty) then remove the
boards and cover it with plastic for a few days. This keeps it from
drying too fast.

That's about all there is too it. The hard part is mixing it. It isn't
fun.
Gideon

User Example said:
Let it dry for awhile (a day is plenty) then remove the boards
and cover it with plastic for a few days. This keeps it from
drying too fast.

=========================

Concrete isn't supposed to "dry", even for a day. It is supposed
to cure. If you don't understand the difference between drying
and curing, then you don't understand concrete.

User Example

Gideon wrote:
User Example said:
Let it dry for awhile (a day is plenty) then remove the boards
and cover it with plastic for a few days. This keeps it from
drying too fast.

Concrete isn't supposed to "dry", even for a day. It is supposed
to cure. If you don't understand the difference between drying
and curing, then you don't understand concrete.

Whatever. It gets hard.

Sidewalk has sunk. Need to raise it 6 inches Sherman Home Repair 14 July 30th 05 04:41 PM
Sidewalk Sale finds Rick Metalworking 3 July 21st 05 03:13 PM
Moving a sidewalk slab? Martin Home Repair 4 August 6th 03 10:18 PM
Reapir chip out of Worktop J. UK diy 2 July 31st 03 02:20 PM
sidewalk - using old concrete pieces in new mixture siteseer Home Repair 2 June 25th 03 06:38 PM