Ned Sneed

Default looking for info on cool old house

Hello all...I recently found a very cool picture of the house I grew up
in on Vashon-Maury Island, Washington. It has since been remodeled into
total submission, but it used to look like this:

http://www.meet-n-eat.com//home/images/myhouse.jpg

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me the style of the
house, ie. Craftsman, whatever. It was built in 1910. Also, what would
you call the architectural detail above the angled (bay?) window?
Anything anyone can tell me would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

CR

"Ned Sneed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all...I recently found a very cool picture of the house I grew up
in on Vashon-Maury Island, Washington. It has since been remodeled into
total submission, but it used to look like this:

http://www.meet-n-eat.com//home/images/myhouse.jpg

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me the style of the
house, ie. Craftsman, whatever. It was built in 1910. Also, what would
you call the architectural detail above the angled (bay?) window?
Anything anyone can tell me would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Looks like maybe a National style with a little extra Victorian gingerbread
on it. I would call the detail above the window a decorative cornice.
I will be on Vashon Island this weekend for a vintage motorcycle event.
There are still some of those old houses left over there, especially in
Burton.

CR

Joseph Meehan

Ned Sneed wrote:
Hello all...I recently found a very cool picture of the house I grew
up in on Vashon-Maury Island, Washington. It has since been remodeled
into total submission, but it used to look like this:

http://www.meet-n-eat.com//home/images/myhouse.jpg

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me the style of the
house, ie. Craftsman, whatever. It was built in 1910. Also, what would
you call the architectural detail above the angled (bay?) window?
Anything anyone can tell me would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

I would like to have seen more of it, but it does show some Queen Ann
elements.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joshua Putnam

In article .com,
says...
Hello all...I recently found a very cool picture of the house I grew up
in on Vashon-Maury Island, Washington. It has since been remodeled into
total submission, but it used to look like this:

http://www.meet-n-eat.com//home/images/myhouse.jpg

Another Vashon native here -- grew up in my grandparents' old house
just south of Burton, on Shawnee Road. Also remodeled beyond
recognition these days.

If you'd like to track the history of the house, try the Puget Sound
Regional Archive in Bellevue,
http://www.secstate.wa.gov/archives/archives_puget.aspx

This looks like one of the pictures they'd have, actually -- they get
old tax assessor photos when the counties no longer want them. We
used them to get an idea of how our house evolved from an old-West
looking box with a high false front in 1901 to its current neo-Dutch-
Colonial style. Very interesting to see decade-by-decade changes.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Ned Sneed

Thanks for all the responses. I did indeed find the picture at the
Puget Sound Archives, Joshua. That place is so cool! I want to go in
there when I get back home and scan as many photos of old Burton houses
as I can, and post them for the enjoyment of like minded fellows. By
the way, I have been living Harry Lester's old cabin on 115th for a
while now.

Cheers!

stan