E.L. Steltzer

Default Bat in a bucket

I had just got home, took my dog out back, and noticed this bucket with a
blue plastic bag over it, sitting by the woods.

My first thoughts were, one of my daughters' pets died (either a fish or
turtle), and my wife put a bag over it so raccoons or some other animal
wouldn't eat it.

I get back inside the house, and read the notes left by my wife (since we
work different shifts). Ok, no mention of anything dieing, so I go check on
the turtle and fish. Everything still alive and kicking.

I go in to shower, and there's a note from my daughter. The kid is in
school band, so she's not home on Thursdays when I get home. The note says:
" Dad, there's a bat in a bucket out back, it was on the screen door, do
with it what you want."

I'm sure to get the scoop on how it scared her to death, when I go to pick
her and her friends up in a few hours. And, how she had to get a neighbor
to capture this thing.

Bottom-line, what the heck do I do with this thing? I can't see it because
the bag's not transparent, and knowing how small these things are, it might
have escaped. I just don't want this thing flying in my face. If it's in
the bag, I don't want to put it in a garbage can, and have this thing fly
out when the lid is lifted if it happens to escape from the bag.

Sorry for such a long post, just thought I would help fill-in the blanks on
what's going on.

SuperBK

Let it go! Bats are good for the environment. They eat a bunch of
mosquitoeseach day. One caution though - bats are know to carry rabies,
so don't let it bite you.

By the time you get a response from the internet, it will probably have
suffocated!

MattMika

Definitely let it go if it isn't already dead...

Your and your daughter can look for bats on the internet.
They are fascinating and beneficial.
TB

E.L. Steltzer

Thanks for the quick responses.

It's free once again, apparently they don't use much oxygen, because it
didn't suffocate. Those things sure are tiny creatures.

E.L.

Dan C

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:47:23 +0000, E.L. Steltzer wrote:

Bottom-line, what the heck do I do with this thing? I can't see it because
the bag's not transparent, and knowing how small these things are, it might
have escaped. I just don't want this thing flying in my face. If it's in
the bag, I don't want to put it in a garbage can, and have this thing fly
out when the lid is lifted if it happens to escape from the bag.

Pound the bag with a sledgehammer, or maybe a garden rake.

Linux Registered User #327951

Sue

In article
,
"E.L. Steltzer" wrote:

Thanks for the quick responses.

It's free once again, apparently they don't use much oxygen, because it
didn't suffocate. Those things sure are tiny creatures.

E.L.

During the day it is likely to be torpid. when they are torpid (its sort
of like hibernating but they come out of it every day) they greatly
lower their metabolic rate, so much so, that they don't breathe very
much. Remember too, that they are used to roosting in crevices with a
lot of other bats all of whom are producing CO2 and consuming oxygen so
they are adapted to those conditions.

bats are cool.
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

A bat got in my house once. I put on full hockey gear, put it into a
bucket and let it go outside...Probably back to the neighbor's unused or
should I say dis-used, garage.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
and a robber."

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD 19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D
Ulysses

"E.L. Steltzer" wrote in message
[...]

Anything that can catch flying bugs in total darkness is not going to
accidently fly into your face.

We have bats here and when we go down to the creek at night with flashlights
the moths etc are attracted to the light and the bats to the bugs. They may
get close but they certainly don't run into us.

Anything that eats (most) bugs is my friend. That reminds me: are garter
snakes considered pests? I always thought they were beneficial until I
realized they eat frogs. Frogs eat bugs.

Stormin Mormon

Carry it back into the house. It would be best suited in the batroom.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.