Timo

Default Mildewy ceiling in bathroom

I painted the shower-bathroom ceiling with the special anti-mildew paint,
but the mildew/mold is back. Not enough natural sunlight and ventilation.
If there's such a thing as an ultraviolet lightbulb or fixture that is safe
for home use, I'd be grateful for a URL or company name.
Thanks
Timo

Joseph Meehan

Timo wrote:
I painted the shower-bathroom ceiling with the special anti-mildew
paint, but the mildew/mold is back. Not enough natural sunlight and
ventilation. If there's such a thing as an ultraviolet lightbulb or
fixture that is safe for home use, I'd be grateful for a URL or
company name.
Thanks
Timo

The only real solution is to reduce the moisture.

However that said, I wonder if the mold was interior to the drywall and
maybe you should consider replacing the ceiling? You also may want to
assure that the area above the ceiling is also dry and ventilated.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Todd H.

"Timo" writes:
I painted the shower-bathroom ceiling with the special anti-mildew paint,
but the mildew/mold is back. Not enough natural sunlight and ventilation.
If there's such a thing as an ultraviolet lightbulb or fixture that is safe
for home use, I'd be grateful for a URL or company name.f

Any such would be a bandaid. You need ventilation to get rid of the
moisture or you're asking for a persistent mold problem that will make
it very difficult to sell your home, and that can become potentially
toxic to you and your family.

Get an exhaust fan installed that vents to the outdoors.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Anonymous

We do have a combination light/exhaust fan in the ceiling that vents from
the roof. The fan did reduce the mildew problem but did not eliminate it.
The shower stall is in this bathroom. A family of five (with two sons who
are jocks) keeps the room pretty damp. Also, we're in a humid climate zone.
These factors together with the poor ventilation create a problem that has
to be solved on several fronts at once. My hope was that a UV light left on
all night might contribute something to a solution.
Timo

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"Timo" writes:
I painted the shower-bathroom ceiling with the special anti-mildew

paint,
but the mildew/mold is back. Not enough natural sunlight and

ventilation.
If there's such a thing as an ultraviolet lightbulb or fixture that is

safe
for home use, I'd be grateful for a URL or company name.f

Any such would be a bandaid. You need ventilation to get rid of the
moisture or you're asking for a persistent mold problem that will make
it very difficult to sell your home, and that can become potentially
toxic to you and your family.

Get an exhaust fan installed that vents to the outdoors.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

smithfarms pure kona

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 11:11:32 -0400, "Anonymous" wrote:

We do have a combination light/exhaust fan in the ceiling that vents

from
the roof. The fan did reduce the mildew problem but did not eliminate

it.
The shower stall is in this bathroom. A family of five (with two sons

who
are jocks) keeps the room pretty damp. Also, we're in a humid

climate zone.
These factors together with the poor ventilation create a problem

that has
to be solved on several fronts at once. My hope was that a UV light

left on
all night might contribute something to a solution.
Timo

We had a similar problem and we too live with high humidity as we are
next to the rainforest. The first thing we did was to enlarge the one
window opening. We now just have screen about 3 X 2 feet, over the
shower, and that helps the ventilation. Then in the vanity which was
so moldy (!), we put in a little heater bar- one designed to reduce
humidity in closets? The combination seems to be working. We do not
have kids taking long showers though. Good luck. That mold looked
terrible. aloha, Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

Joseph Meehan

Anonymous wrote:
We do have a combination light/exhaust fan in the ceiling that vents
from the roof. The fan did reduce the mildew problem but did not
eliminate it. The shower stall is in this bathroom. A family of five
(with two sons who are jocks) keeps the room pretty damp. Also,
we're in a humid climate zone. These factors together with the poor
ventilation create a problem that has to be solved on several fronts
at once. My hope was that a UV light left on all night might
contribute something to a solution.
Timo

Any UV light that is strong enough to fight mold is going to be strong
enough to harm people. They can be used in air ducts and water pipes, but
not where people are around.

"Todd H." wrote in message
"Timo" writes:
I painted the shower-bathroom ceiling with the special anti-mildew
paint, but the mildew/mold is back. Not enough natural sunlight
and ventilation. If there's such a thing as an ultraviolet
lightbulb or fixture that is safe for home use, I'd be grateful
for a URL or company name.f

Any such would be a bandaid. You need ventilation to get rid of the
moisture or you're asking for a persistent mold problem that will
make it very difficult to sell your home, and that can become
potentially toxic to you and your family.

Get an exhaust fan installed that vents to the outdoors.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Frank Boettcher

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:07:09 -0400, "Timo" wrote:

I painted the shower-bathroom ceiling with the special anti-mildew paint,
but the mildew/mold is back. Not enough natural sunlight and ventilation.
If there's such a thing as an ultraviolet lightbulb or fixture that is safe
for home use, I'd be grateful for a URL or company name.
Thanks
Timo

What did you use? I had that problem and painted the ceilings of two
interior, windowless bathrooms with Zinsser (spelling?) perma-white,
mildew proof ceiling paint four years ago and haven't had a spot. and
I live in Mississippi, the mildew capital of the world.

Frank

Stretch

I have seen mold on ceilings in bathrooms with exhaust fans.

1) Caulk around the exhaust fan, so when it runs the fan does not pull
in humid attic air when it is running. Exhaust fans will pull air from
wherever they can get it. If the fan is running, it is pulling the
bathroom into a negative pressure with respect to outside. If there is
a gap around the fan housing or AC supply grille, it can pull air in
from the attic. It can do the same around a ceiling light fixture.

2) Make sure the exhaust fan has a tightly closing damper, or humid
outside air can leak back in when the fan is off.

3) Make sure the house is not under negative pressure. That will pull
putside air into the bathroom through the exhaust fan when it is off,
even if it has a good damper. Those things can leak!

Just some thoughts, because I have seen those problems before.

Stretch