Juan C. Reyes

Default Self-Adhering Vinyl Tiles

I'm thinking of replacing my current kitchen floor. I found some
self-adhering Armstrong vinyl tiles at Home Depot and am wondering if these
are any good. I would be placing on top of an old linoleum floor. Does the
glue really stick well enough? Thanks.

Juan C. Reyes wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing my current kitchen floor. I found some
self-adhering Armstrong vinyl tiles at Home Depot and am wondering if these
are any good. I would be placing on top of an old linoleum floor. Does the
glue really stick well enough? Thanks.

It does, but they will shift around on your old floor and the adhesive
will show up through the seams. Eventually they will come up. Armstrong
are one of the better peel and stick but from experiance I would not
waste my money.

Actually thats not entirely true. I've installed several self stick
tile and the secret is to buy a small notched trowel and vinyl tile
adhesive. Spread the adhesive with the trowel just as you would
non-self stick tile. Remove the backing paper and lay the tile. The
extra adhesive allows you to slide the tile in place where as if you
didn't use it, once it's stuck your stuck. Also the adhesive adds the
right amount of extra stick so the tile wont move in the future. Some
adhesive will come through the seams when you lay them, have a wet rag
handy to wipe it up.

Actually thats not entirely true. I've installed several self stick
tile and the secret is to buy a small notched trowel and vinyl tile
adhesive. Spread the adhesive with the trowel just as you would
non-self stick tile. Remove the backing paper and lay the tile. The
extra adhesive allows you to slide the tile in place where as if you
didn't use it, once it's stuck your stuck. Also the adhesive adds the
right amount of extra stick so the tile wont move in the future.

In other words self stick tiles are useless. Trowling on adhesive makes
the pre - glue backing moot.

Some
adhesive will come through the seams when you lay them, have a wet rag
handy to wipe it up.

Juan C. Reyes

Did you do this on top of old linoleum or did you pull it off?

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Actually thats not entirely true. I've installed several self stick
| tile and the secret is to buy a small notched trowel and vinyl tile
| adhesive. Spread the adhesive with the trowel just as you would
| non-self stick tile. Remove the backing paper and lay the tile. The
| extra adhesive allows you to slide the tile in place where as if you
| didn't use it, once it's stuck your stuck. Also the adhesive adds the
| right amount of extra stick so the tile wont move in the future. Some
| adhesive will come through the seams when you lay them, have a wet rag
| handy to wipe it up.

Perry Templeton

Unless things have changed in the last year or two, the warranty is void if
the self stick tiles are put down with glue.

The self stick tiles are not my favorite flooring product, but they are easy
to put down.
Perry
"Juan C. Reyes" wrote in message
Did you do this on top of old linoleum or did you pull it off?

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Actually thats not entirely true. I've installed several self stick
| tile and the secret is to buy a small notched trowel and vinyl tile
| adhesive. Spread the adhesive with the trowel just as you would
| non-self stick tile. Remove the backing paper and lay the tile. The
| extra adhesive allows you to slide the tile in place where as if you
| didn't use it, once it's stuck your stuck. Also the adhesive adds the
| right amount of extra stick so the tile wont move in the future. Some
| adhesive will come through the seams when you lay them, have a wet rag
| handy to wipe it up.

I personally would remove any old tile, but everyone needs to
experiment.

Harry K

Juan C. Reyes wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing my current kitchen floor. I found some
self-adhering Armstrong vinyl tiles at Home Depot and am wondering if these
are any good. I would be placing on top of an old linoleum floor. Does the
glue really stick well enough? Thanks.

As Rob says, they can shift after you lay them if they have room to
move. I used them in my Mother's house and in mine. My Mother's
sifted because I left room at the room edges, mine didn't because I
layed them tight. My mother's were also layed over the old linoleum so
that might have contributed.

Harry K

Jinxy

"Juan C. Reyes" wrote in message
I'm thinking of replacing my current kitchen floor. I found some
self-adhering Armstrong vinyl tiles at Home Depot and am wondering if
these
are any good. I would be placing on top of an old linoleum floor. Does
the
glue really stick well enough? Thanks.

We used peel and stick flooring in our home. The floor is now 10 yrs old. A
couple of tiles have buckled up about 5 yrs ago due to them being at the
patio doors where the dogs were coming in all wet. They also turned yellow
from the sun there..but that would happen to any flooring. All in all I'd
say that the floor looked decent (new looking)for about 4-5 yrs. We just put
some in our new sunroom till we can afford to put in hardwood or something.
I can say the tiles lasted only about one month in there due to excessive
heat from the sun. They are still there, but heaving up.
My sis in law layed her peel and stick over lino.

I have had the self sticking tiles move on me, and I wouldn't use them.

If your tile is poping due to excessive heat, you may have a bigger
problem then the cheap tiles.

Rob is exactly right, we put them in our house in San Diego, they work
OK, but look kinda cheap. In our new kitchen in northern cal we put
down Kahrs floating floor. It's real hardwood, you can get it for ~4.50
per sq. ft. and it looks rich and gorgeous.

Jinxy

wrote in message
ups.com...
If your tile is poping due to excessive heat, you may have a bigger
problem then the cheap tiles.

Like?

The instruction sheet warned about not using them in areas with direct
sunlight.

Tiling over vinyl floor tiles [email protected] UK diy 3 July 19th 05 10:44 PM
Removing Vinyl floor tiles Pedge UK diy 5 April 30th 05 12:05 AM
Vinyl floor tiles Lucy Home Ownership 1 March 27th 05 09:25 AM
Anyone advise why wall tiles are not adhering well? Mike Barnard UK diy 4 May 10th 04 07:47 PM
problems removing vinyl floor tiles computer_user UK diy 0 November 4th 03 10:36 PM