miamicuse

Default Can a single family home have multiple addresses?

Location is south Florida. Looking at a property which is a single family
residence, however the architect designed it such that it has two different
entrances, two driveways, two electric meters, but they do share a common
wall. It is one single lot zoned for single family residence, a single
folio number, but the lot is a corner unit and has a street to the east and
a street to the south. The east facing unit has an address on the east
street and the south facing unit has a south facing address, so one house,
two addresses, how is this possible? And the current owner block off
another bedroom loft and rents it out as a third unit. So question is - is
this legal? Can I somehow establish a new address for the third unit for
rental? So it will have it's own mail box?

MC

Duane Bozarth

miamicuse wrote:

Location is south Florida. Looking at a property which is a single family
residence, however the architect designed it such that it has two different
entrances, two driveways, two electric meters, but they do share a common
wall. It is one single lot zoned for single family residence, a single
folio number, but the lot is a corner unit and has a street to the east and
a street to the south. The east facing unit has an address on the east
street and the south facing unit has a south facing address, so one house,
two addresses, how is this possible? And the current owner block off
another bedroom loft and rents it out as a third unit. So question is - is
this legal? Can I somehow establish a new address for the third unit for
rental? So it will have it's own mail box?

MC

Only your local city/county/whatever jurisdiction can answer the
questions...
HeyBub

Duane Bozarth wrote:
miamicuse wrote:

[...]

No. It's an issue for the post office. The post office doesn't talk to the
city planning commission and is indifferent to local zoning laws, occupancy
requirements, and other infringements on the use of your property.

Try it out. Put up a mail box with the address of "1234 1/2" on the box and
mail yourself a letter.

Duane Bozarth

HeyBub wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
miamicuse wrote:

[...]

Even if true (and that I don't really know for sure is USPS policy) that
doesn't make it "legal" nor conforming to local zoning which depending
on jurisdiction may be enforceable usage of the property.

I'd certainly advise OP to not invest in a property on the assumption of
usage at variance w/ local code and zoning at the risk of a sizable
economic loss.
Beachcomber

No. It's an issue for the post office. The post office doesn't talk to the
city planning commission and is indifferent to local zoning laws, occupancy
requirements, and other infringements on the use of your property.

Try it out. Put up a mail box with the address of "1234 1/2" on the box and
mail yourself a letter.

Even if true (and that I don't really know for sure is USPS policy) that
doesn't make it "legal" nor conforming to local zoning which depending
on jurisdiction may be enforceable usage of the property.

I'd certainly advise OP to not invest in a property on the assumption of
usage at variance w/ local code and zoning at the risk of a sizable
economic loss.

The key person to talk to is your postmaster in the local post office
serving your address.

When the mail is sorted for a carrier route, typically there is an
official pigeonhole for each unit at the carrier's workstation where
they sort the mail. Each pigeonhole has an "official address"
associated with it. The USPS determines what exactly that address is.

You can see your official address if you go to: http://www.usps.gov

and do a zip code lookup of your property. You might be surprised at
how the post office wants it to appear versus what you have been
using.

Your postmaster will tell you exactly what you need to do and if a new
address can be created. There may also be issues about mailbox
placement and such. You have to follow the USPS rules....

Also, sometimes in larger cities, the postmasters are a bit elusive so
you may want to call or even visit your post office in person.

Beachcomber

Duane Bozarth

Beachcomber wrote:
The key person to talk to is your postmaster in the local post office
serving your address.

Whether the USPS will issue an additional address or not has no bearing
on the legal use of the domicile outside local zoning regulations. OP
could possibly get a dozen more USPS addresses but whether he can sublet
or effectively turn a house into a duplex in a single-residence zoned
area and get away with it will depend on his local jurisdiction (and to
a large part his neighbors if outside the zoning regulations).

It is simply not wise to buy a property on a premise w/o being certain
of all legal covenants/restrictions on that property. The existence or
not of a USPS delivery address isn't one of those even though it may
currently exist and an additional one might be granted.
yustr

In my town, I pay a small ($30/year) fee to maintain an apartment
dwelling. Those records are at City Hall. If it were me, I'd absolutely
check with the local Planning Office just to make sure everything's on
the up-and-up.

--
yustr
yustr's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=37

Joseph Meehan

miamicuse wrote:
[...]

I think that says what is legal. Anything other than single family
residence (get a local legal description of what that means) would not be
legal. How much of a problem that is would depend on how the local
authorities look at it. The real problem is anytime someone wants to mess
with the owner, it's open season.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

PipeDown

"yustr" wrote in message

In my town, I pay a small ($30/year) fee to maintain an apartment
dwelling. Those records are at City Hall. If it were me, I'd absolutely
check with the local Planning Office just to make sure everything's on
the up-and-up.

--
yustr
yustr's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=37
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=57346

Putting a second address at the house may change the tax status of the
residence from single family to multiple.

Ulysses

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Beachcomber wrote:
The key person to talk to is your postmaster in the local post office
serving your address.

Whether the USPS will issue an additional address or not has no bearing
on the legal use of the domicile outside local zoning regulations. OP
could possibly get a dozen more USPS addresses but whether he can sublet
or effectively turn a house into a duplex in a single-residence zoned
area and get away with it will depend on his local jurisdiction (and to
a large part his neighbors if outside the zoning regulations).

It is simply not wise to buy a property on a premise w/o being certain
of all legal covenants/restrictions on that property. The existence or
not of a USPS delivery address isn't one of those even though it may
currently exist and an additional one might be granted.

First of all I agree completely with what you are saying but that fact that
it has two electric meters indicates that it was used for two residences. I
doubt the electric company would have installed a second meter if it was not
allowed by the county/city. My question is where does the second meter go?

Don Wiss

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, miamicuse wrote:

Can I somehow establish a new address for the third unit for
rental? So it will have it's own mail box?

Here in my neighborhood of Brooklyn the mailman will only deliver to one
location of the house, even if a legal two family. But I know of multiple
stores in the same building and each get their own mail. So what you need
to do is to ask the postmaster.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
TP

I had a property with 4 electric meters. One address (123)
number. One meter for apartment (123)A. One meter for apartment
(123)B. One meter for the (123)garage. Garage also had a
mailbox. Last meter was for the landlord that covered outdoor
security lighting. Zone residential two family. I agree, it’s
a post office thing.

TP

Beachcomber wrote:

[...]

Duane Bozarth

Beachcomber wrote:
[...]

Probably to the two apartments but it you apparently don't have a single
dwelling or it is not in conformance with zoning regulations (which
happens, sometimes people don't follow rules (gasp!). I think it
imperative to find out from the city what the actual zoning rules are
before going ahead if you have some reason to think this is actually
supposed to be a one-family residential area.

You do have a legal beagle on your side here, don't you?
Edwin Pawlowski

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, miamicuse wrote:

Can I somehow establish a new address for the third unit for
rental? So it will have it's own mail box?

Talk to the postmaster. It may just be Apts. ! or Apt. 2 etc. using the
same house number. Boxes may have to be together.

I have two addresses. One is the town's legal address that puts me on ABC
Street. My postal address is XYZ Street. I'm actually the last house on
ABC but the mailman only goes as far as the previous house on the walking
route. Then he starts the motor route and I'm the first house on XYZ even
though the next house is 1/8 mile. It is all in the way they sort and
deliver.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 19 Aug 2005 07:53:28a, miamicuse wrote in alt.home.repair:

Location is south Florida. Looking at a property which is a single
family residence, however the architect designed it such that it has two
different entrances, two driveways, two electric meters, but they do
share a common wall. It is one single lot zoned for single family
residence, a single folio number, but the lot is a corner unit and has a
street to the east and a street to the south. The east facing unit has
an address on the east street and the south facing unit has a south
facing address, so one house, two addresses, how is this possible? And
the current owner block off another bedroom loft and rents it out as a
third unit. So question is - is this legal? Can I somehow establish a
new address for the third unit for rental? So it will have it's own
mail box?

So, in actuality, it is not a single family home at all. Duh!

Check with your city or county zoning board.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-4, 08/19/2005
Tested on: 8/19/2005 7:40:36 PM

Colbyt

"miamicuse" wrote in message
news
[...]

Most likely the post office will oblige you if you do a 123 Some street #1
and #2 as long as there are seperate clearly labeled mailboxes. Also in this
case I think they require the tenant to post their name on the box.

Planning and zoning, the legal this and not stuff is just dis-information.

Colbyt

Don Wiss

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Colbyt wrote:

Most likely the post office will oblige you if you do a 123 Some street #1
and #2 as long as there are seperate clearly labeled mailboxes.

At the same location.

Also in this
case I think they require the tenant to post their name on the box.

Posting it inside the box where the mail carrier can read it when open
seems to be okay.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
NapalmHeart

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Duane Bozarth wrote:
miamicuse wrote:

[...]

At least where I'm at (MI), the post office has nothing to do with
designation of addresses. It is a local municipal function.

Ken