Percival P. Cassidy

Default Garage door/opener: repair or replace?

One of the torsion springs on our garage door mechanism broke, the door
closed with a bang, and the idler sprocket (plastic of some kind)
shattered into pieces.

I have already read a warning that trying to replace one of these
torsion springs can result in injury or death, so we'll have to call
someone.

The question is: to what extent are the torsion spring mechanism and the
opener interrelated? It's an old All-O-Matic opener (installed by a
previous owner) with no optical sensor to prevent injury to people who
happen to be in the doorway when it closes (although it does reverse if
it meets a physical obstruction). There is also no way of opening it
just a little way (e.g., to get the newspaper) then closing it again
without first opening it all the way.

So if we want to install a more modern opener soon anyway, do we still
have to have this spring replaced first, or do we need to think about a
whole new mechanism, perhaps of a different type?

Perce

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

[...]

Folks installing a new opener are not going to want to use your old stuff
for legal reasons.

Roy Starrin

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:28:35 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

One of the torsion springs on our garage door mechanism broke, the door
closed with a bang, and the idler sprocket (plastic of some kind)
shattered into pieces.
So if we want to install a more modern opener soon anyway, do we still
have to have this spring replaced first, or do we need to think about a
whole new mechanism, perhaps of a different type?

Depending on code for y'all, you may find that if you attempt to
repair/replace the old unit, you will have to have one with the
optical sensor installed---here it is not optional.
May be some help he
http://www.garage-door-hardware.com/index.html or here
http://www.doorsandopeners.com/

You can also read: How I replaced the Deadly Garage Door Torsion
Springs - and lived to tell the tale:
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

The basic door opening mechanism, ie either torsion or regular springs,
is completely seperate and unrelated to an automatic door opener. You
can replace either without involving the other. However, for an
automatic door opener to work, the door does need to have working
springs and be balanced correctly.

Bob S.

I have already read a warning that trying to replace one of these
torsion springs can result in injury or death, so we'll have to call
someone.

Lowes & HD sell replacement parts, including springs, for garage doors.
Just raise the door all the way up to take the tension off the springs,
wedge a board under the door so it can't drop, then replace the spring.
If it were me, I'd replace both of them. The warning you mention is a
CYA by the manufacturer to protect themselves from idiots.

Bob S.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob S." wrote in message
oups.com...

I have already read a warning that trying to replace one of these
torsion springs

Lowes & HD sell replacement parts, including springs, for garage doors.
Just raise the door all the way up to take the tension off the springs,
wedge a board under the door so it can't drop, then replace the spring.
If it were me, I'd replace both of them. The warning you mention is a
CYA by the manufacturer to protect themselves from idiots.

Bob S.

TORSION SPRING Not a standard coil spring. Different process,
different parts.

Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/16/05 09:39 pm Bob S. tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I have already read a warning that trying to replace one of these
torsion springs can result in injury or death, so we'll have to call
someone.

Lowes & HD sell replacement parts, including springs, for garage doors.
Just raise the door all the way up to take the tension off the springs,
wedge a board under the door so it can't drop, then replace the spring.
If it were me, I'd replace both of them. The warning you mention is a
CYA by the manufacturer to protect themselves from idiots.

The job is done: at 8:30am called the co. whose sticker was on the door,
and the repair guy arrived about 1pm. Took less than an hour. $30 for
the spring, $50 for labor/travel. The remaining (unbroken) spring was
obviously much newer, and he said it probably didn't need to be replaced.

The warning against trying to replace one of these springs without the
proper tools and experience didn't come from any manufacturer. It's on
numerous Web sites and was mentioned frequently in a 117-message thread
in this ng last year. Somebody even said that some states prohibit the
sale or rental of the special tools to untrained persons.

Perce
Dick Yuknavech

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:48:39 -0400, Percival P. Cassidy wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Somebody even said that some states prohibit the
sale or rental of the special tools to untrained persons.

Not likely. The only "special" tool that you wouldn't already have is a
pair of 1/2" (3/8"? - I don't remember) steel bars, about 2 feet long.

You also need a functioning brain and a LOT of fear. Familiarity breeds
contempt and contempt kills. Or at least maims, but it's not nearly as
bad as getting careless around a table saw. Mostly...

--

Why put fault tolerance in the OS, when it's already built into the
User?
Rich

Not too bad of a price for a torsion spring replacement.

Don't forget to lube your spring's coils and shaft end bearings when
you perform routine preventive maintenance.

Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com