Roy Starrin

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:28:35 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

One of the torsion springs on our garage door mechanism broke, the door
closed with a bang, and the idler sprocket (plastic of some kind)
shattered into pieces.
So if we want to install a more modern opener soon anyway, do we still
have to have this spring replaced first, or do we need to think about a
whole new mechanism, perhaps of a different type?

Depending on code for y'all, you may find that if you attempt to
repair/replace the old unit, you will have to have one with the
optical sensor installed---here it is not optional.
May be some help he
http://www.garage-door-hardware.com/index.html or here
http://www.doorsandopeners.com/

You can also read: How I replaced the Deadly Garage Door Torsion
Springs - and lived to tell the tale:
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm