Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
meirman

Default Sharing expenses with a neighbor

Am I obliged or at least in practice, if I want to get along with him,
stuck paying so much for part of the fence replacement with my
neighbor. I was prepared to pay 1/2 of 1/3 which I thought might be
30 or 40 dollars, but he says half of the one part we share is $125.

Esp. since I don't think this part of the fence needs replacing
anyhow, for me that is a lot of money.

Does it matter that last summer, I repaired his back yard fence? I
only asked for the money to pay for the wood and gate latch. I didn't
want to see him tear down a cedar fence and replace it with a cheaper
less durable pine fence. I had to search the web to find a local
store that sold cedar, go to the other side of the city to order
(although I combined it with errands), go back to pick it up, front
the money, make the pickets and rails from wider pieces. Then when I
was 90% done he said he was going to put in a new fence. He said that
when his 5 year-old daughter fell against the fence, it moved instead
of being strong. I said that was good, she's less likely to get hurt.
(AFAIK, it is strong and stiff. Maybe there is one week section.

I live in a townhouse and my neighbors and I all of them have in front
an entrance door into a hall and a sliding glass door into the
kitchen. In front of the SGD is a small "patio?", with room for a
table and chairs, or garden equipment, firewood, grill etc. In front
of that is what they call the "privacy fence" My next door neighbor's
house is the mirror image of mine, and we share one piece of the
privacy fence about 8 feet long, as in the sketch below.

Street ==================

Yard Yard

___________________________
| | |
| | |
| | |
|____ | ____|

_____________________|_________________________
==== ======= ======= ====
Door Sliding Glass Doors Door
One per house

House 1 House 2

I rebuilt my fence about 4 years ago, but did not touch the middle
piece because it was fine, IMO. I think when his wife was single, and
lived there, one of her boyfriends fixed the fence for her, but didn't
use treated wood. AFAICT, this part is still fine, except for a 1 x
1/2 inch piece of T1-11 that is hidden by molding anyhow. Now he
wants to rebuild his fence, and he is hiring someone to do it.

He's bothered because there is a crack in the side of the 2x4 that
borders the wall. I don't think it matters, but if it did, I'd put in
some plastic wood or something and repaint it.

Fixing and fixing up my car and my house are my major hobbies, and I
rarely hire anyone to do anything.

We went together on a roof a couple years ago. We both wanted the same
color.

He also wants vinyl siding. Maybe I need it, maybe I don't, but I
would like us to get along.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether