Corinne

Default Dryer Vent Question

I just purchased an eight year old home that is in good shape.

My concern is that the dryer vent blows underneath my front steps, which
are made of wood.

Could this be a fire hazard due to lint buildup?

I am seriously considering hiring a builder to re-vent the hose.

I went into the crawl space and it is neat and clean, no moisture.

Thoughts please.

Thanks.

Corinne
Stretch

Corine,
The temperatures from a dryer vent will not create a fire hazard.
Neither is the lint a fire hazzard. Lint may burn, but it will not
self ignite. If the porch crawlspace is enclosed, you may have a
moisture buildup there, but I see no other problems, except the lint
may be unsightly.

Stretch

Corinne wrote:
I just purchased an eight year old home that is in good shape.

My concern is that the dryer vent blows underneath my front steps, which
are made of wood.

Could this be a fire hazard due to lint buildup?

I am seriously considering hiring a builder to re-vent the hose.

I went into the crawl space and it is neat and clean, no moisture.

Thoughts please.

Thanks.

Corinne

can't see it as a fire hazzard but the moisture will contribute to your
steps rotting out. instead of rerouting the vent try extending the
ductwork(rigid) out the side of the steps.

Joseph Meehan

Corinne wrote:
I just purchased an eight year old home that is in good shape.

My concern is that the dryer vent blows underneath my front steps,
which are made of wood.

No fire hazard, but it might increase moisture that could be a problem.

Could this be a fire hazard due to lint buildup?

I am seriously considering hiring a builder to re-vent the hose.

I went into the crawl space and it is neat and clean, no moisture.

Good and you want to keep it that way so you DON'T want to vent the
dryer there. Is there a way it can be easily vented directly outside (or is
it now directly vented outside?)

Thoughts please.

Thanks.

Corinne

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Corinne

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Corinne wrote:

I just purchased an eight year old home that is in good shape.

My concern is that the dryer vent blows underneath my front steps,
which are made of wood.

No fire hazard, but it might increase moisture that could be a problem.

Could this be a fire hazard due to lint buildup?

I am seriously considering hiring a builder to re-vent the hose.

I went into the crawl space and it is neat and clean, no moisture.

Good and you want to keep it that way so you DON'T want to vent the
dryer there. Is there a way it can be easily vented directly outside (or is
it now directly vented outside?)

Thoughts please.

Thanks.

Corinne

Well, it is vented sort of outside, as it vents underneath my front
steps which are made of redwood, and there are spaces between the wood
planks.

I spoke with a builder today, and he suggests drilling through the
concrete and venting it outside.

I find it hard to believe that this is code, and that the home passed
the building inspection upon completion.

Thanks.

Corinne