USENET NEWSREADER

Default tie down advice needed

I am building a shed in my backyard and want to build it to code, and I
need to have some tie downs for it at each corner.

I could use some mobile home straps that get sunk into the ground, but I
sort of prefer to use something like Simpson Strong tie down threaded
bolts dirrectly into the concrete pad and then up through some concrete
block and them bolt down the sill plates to the rods, but no one in
Raleigh NC seems to know about them.

DOes anyone know if you can use regular threaded rods available in
hardware stores for the same purpose?

I was also thinking that I could use some kind of steel or iron pipe -
3/4 or 1" size - down through the block, but that is kinda complicated
to do.

ANy suggestions on where I can buy this stuff around Raleigh, NC? Reply
to the newsgroup - thanks!
William

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 02:30:20 GMT, USENET NEWSREADER
wrote:

I am building a shed in my backyard and want to build it to code, and I
need to have some tie downs for it at each corner.

I could use some mobile home straps that get sunk into the ground, but I
sort of prefer to use something like Simpson Strong tie down threaded
bolts dirrectly into the concrete pad and then up through some concrete
block and them bolt down the sill plates to the rods, but no one in
Raleigh NC seems to know about them.

DOes anyone know if you can use regular threaded rods available in
hardware stores for the same purpose?

I was also thinking that I could use some kind of steel or iron pipe -
3/4 or 1" size - down through the block, but that is kinda complicated
to do.

ANy suggestions on where I can buy this stuff around Raleigh, NC? Reply
to the newsgroup - thanks!

Well, what building materials are you using?

J-bolts would work if you haven't poured the slab already.

Then there are RedHeads. A bolt and anchor system. Nice and strong,
seen them used in metalbuilding construction.
You use a hammer-drill and make the appropriate size hole into the
slab. Then you drop in aan epoxy-filled glass tube, then the anchor
bolt. You smack the anchor bolt with a hammer, breaking the epoxy
tube. Twenty four hour cure.

Come back next day, lay sill plates and go....

Generic code requirements include connecting building elements from
roof down to footing. That includes metal clips from rafter to stud
wall assembly; ties or plywood to tie top plate, studs, bottom plate, &
joists; straps or bolts to connect wall & floor assemblies to footing.
William suggests some practical applications. The Simpson Strong Tie
web site shows a lot of connectors for various uses. To meet code one
needs to know the required values for wind speed and seismic activity,
then to calculate the connectors are chosen by capacity.

TB

Daniel B. Martin

William wrote:

Then there are RedHeads. A bolt and anchor system. Nice and strong,
seen them used in metalbuilding construction.
You use a hammer-drill and make the appropriate size hole into the
slab. Then you drop in aan epoxy-filled glass tube, then the anchor
bolt. You smack the anchor bolt with a hammer, breaking the epoxy
tube. Twenty four hour cure.

Come back next day, lay sill plates and go....

This is interesting and I want to learn more about it. I went to the
Red Head Anchoring System web site

http://www.ramset-redhead.com/rh_as_intro.asp

and found many types of anchors but no mention of the drop-in epoxy
tube. Please elaborate. Thank you.

Daniel B. Martin
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 12:11:08 GMT, "Daniel B. Martin"
wrote:

This is interesting and I want to learn more about it. I went to the
Red Head Anchoring System web site

http://www.ramset-redhead.com/rh_as_intro.asp

and found many types of anchors but no mention of the drop-in epoxy
tube. Please elaborate. Thank you.

Daniel B. Martin

A simple search using the box provided on the Ramset web site yields
your answer, here's the search done for you....

http://www.ramset-redhead.com/capsules_prod01.asp

Even more amazing, simply typing "ramset glass epoxy hammer" in
google yields the same results. Internet searching 101!!!

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold

Daniel B. Martin

Tom Jaszewski wrote:
Even more amazing, simply typing "ramset glass epoxy hammer" in
google yields the same results. Internet searching 101!!!

Neat! Thanks for the information, and thanks for the lesson.

Daniel B. Martin
USENET NEWSREADER

wrote:

[...]

I have to build the shed on concrete footers, and due to sloping land, I
want to use the long bolts (not just the j-bolts) attached to the re-bar
in the footer - but it has to run through 1 to 3 7 inch thick concrete
blocks, so the rods need to be taller than the average j-bolts.

Any idea where I can find the threaded rods and the stainless fastners
in Raleigh? HD and Lowes doesn't have them.
Daniel B. Martin

USENET NEWSREADER wrote:
Any idea where I can find the threaded rods and the stainless fastners
in Raleigh? HD and Lowes doesn't have them.

Try

Wilder's Inc
2406 Alwin Ct
Raleigh, NC 27604-1402
(919) 833-2761

Daniel B. Martin

wrote:

[...]

Do codes require tie downs these days? Seems like over kill to me. How
big is this "shed". Any thing over 12x12 would not be a shed to me. I
have a 12x20 and a 6x8 and they are just sitting on concrete blocks. If
the wind is strong enough to blow them away I think that will be the
least of my worries - losing the shed and contents.

is a garbage address.
SteveF

Are you building this on a concrete pad or on concrete blocks on top of a
concrete footer?

If on a pad, when you pour the pad you insert L-shaped anchor bolts to which
the sill is bolted. If on blocks you need to insert some L-shaped rebar
long enough to go from the footer up through however many blocks. Once the
block work is done you need to wire the L-shaped anchor bolts to the rebar
and fill the core with concrete.

The anchor bolts and rebar are in the concrete section at Home Depot or
Lowe's. Another option is to use mobile home anchors that you can buy
from a mobile home supply store, I think there is one in Garner.

Steve.

"USENET NEWSREADER" wrote in message
k.net...
I am building a shed in my backyard and want to build it to code, and I
need to have some tie downs for it at each corner.

I could use some mobile home straps that get sunk into the ground, but I
sort of prefer to use something like Simpson Strong tie down threaded
bolts dirrectly into the concrete pad and then up through some concrete
block and them bolt down the sill plates to the rods, but no one in
Raleigh NC seems to know about them.

DOes anyone know if you can use regular threaded rods available in
hardware stores for the same purpose?

I was also thinking that I could use some kind of steel or iron pipe - 3/4
or 1" size - down through the block, but that is kinda complicated to do.

ANy suggestions on where I can buy this stuff around Raleigh, NC? Reply to
the newsgroup - thanks!

SteveF

Do codes require tie downs these days? Seems like over kill to me. How
big is this "shed". Any thing over 12x12 would not be a shed to me. I
have a 12x20 and a 6x8 and they are just sitting on concrete blocks. If
the wind is strong enough to blow them away I think that will be the
least of my worries - losing the shed and contents.

I think this is the new hurricane code that went into effect two years ago.
Agreed on the overkill, my shed didn't go anywhere during Fran and it's just
sitting on the blocks.

Steve.

Dweezil Dwarftosser

SteveF wrote:

Another option is to use mobile home anchors that you can buy
from a mobile home supply store, I think there is one in Garner.

I know there used to be one on 70 near Garner, a dozen years
ago. But there also was one in Raleigh on Tryon Rd., right
next to the municipal golfcourse. That also may have morphed
into some other retail line...