Default Sanding Question

i wasnt sure where to ask this question, so if this is the wrong group i
apologize in advance.

i have a 4 drawer dresser chest....and it has at least 2 layers of paint
on it.

my question is, what is the best way to remove the paint....
would using a random orbital sander be best?

or some type of paint on stripper? if so what kind?

i live in an apartment so i would have to do this outside and dont want
to risk killing the grass with some type of stripper. but also i dont
want to use a sander if it wont work

thanks in advance everyone

C & M

You know, I just saw an infomercial for an all-natural, odorless paint
stripper on TV the other night. Sorry, but that's all I have for you.
Stripping will be your best bet in an apartment. This stuff scrapes off
like a jell with the paint trapped in it. The sanding will leave a huge
mess everywhere.

wrote in message
i wasnt sure where to ask this question, so if this is the wrong group i
apologize in advance.

i have a 4 drawer dresser chest....and it has at least 2 layers of paint
on it.

my question is, what is the best way to remove the paint....
would using a random orbital sander be best?

or some type of paint on stripper? if so what kind?

i live in an apartment so i would have to do this outside and dont want
to risk killing the grass with some type of stripper. but also i dont
want to use a sander if it wont work

thanks in advance everyone

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I would probably try the orange stripper. I think it's called "Citri
Strip". Seems to be a little more environmentally friendly.
You will probably want to do a couple of applications. There will still be
some sanding but not nearly as much. I've seen that stripper at Home Depot
and Lowes. Heck, Walmart probably carries it. I'm not sure what your apt.
layout looks like but you could even just do this on a porch. Put some
newspaper down and have at it.
Cheers,
cc

wrote in message
i wasnt sure where to ask this question, so if this is the wrong group i
apologize in advance.

i have a 4 drawer dresser chest....and it has at least 2 layers of paint
on it.

my question is, what is the best way to remove the paint....
would using a random orbital sander be best?

or some type of paint on stripper? if so what kind?

i live in an apartment so i would have to do this outside and dont want
to risk killing the grass with some type of stripper. but also i dont
want to use a sander if it wont work

thanks in advance everyone

David Martel

I agree with James. The citrus stuff will do a good job and won't destroy
your lawn in small quantities. I have used it indoors and it's not too bad
but outdoors is better. After the stripping you will need to lightly sand
with an orbital sander. If this is veneer be sure you do not sand too much.

Dave M.

Cliff Hartle

Sanding is the worst way to remove paint.

Most paint doesn't sand well and it will tend to melt rather than turn to
dust so it will gum up the paper very quickly. Also, you will round off all
of the edges.

If there is allot of paint I generally use a heat gun first and then a
chemical stripper and then sanding just to get the last little bit of crud
off.

If you are thinking of staining and varnishing the piece, its probably twice
the work.

As for using "safe" or "non-toxic" strippers, I have found that they don't
do a very good job(unless they have gotten a hole lot better in the last few
years).

If its paint I use a meythalene chloride (sp?) based stripper. For varnish
one with out MC but still solvent based gel works well.

The brand I like I think is called stripeze and comes in a metal can with a
spray bottle applicator. The spray bottle applies a nice even coat.

I have seen the infomercial strippers I can only think that the paint that
they are striping was applied just hours before so of course it going to
"just peel off"

wrote in message
i wasnt sure where to ask this question, so if this is the wrong group i
apologize in advance.

i have a 4 drawer dresser chest....and it has at least 2 layers of paint
on it.

my question is, what is the best way to remove the paint....
would using a random orbital sander be best?

or some type of paint on stripper? if so what kind?

i live in an apartment so i would have to do this outside and dont want
to risk killing the grass with some type of stripper. but also i dont
want to use a sander if it wont work

thanks in advance everyone

thanks to everyone for your help.....you guys are smarter then my local
home depot....
thanks again for the help...it looks like i have a project to keep me
busy this weekend

Pat

nospambob

I used Citri Strip to clean a neglected paint brush as it is
environmentally friendly.

wrote in message
i wasnt sure where to ask this question, so if this is the wrong group i
apologize in advance.

i have a 4 drawer dresser chest....and it has at least 2 layers of paint
on it.

my question is, what is the best way to remove the paint....
would using a random orbital sander be best?

thanks for the info..i will look fo the stripper you mentioned....would
they have it at a hardware store...reason i ask is it would be easir
forme to get there then at a paint store....thanks again

Sanding questions. sandman Woodworking 8 December 16th 04 03:56 AM
Sanding -- why do they do that to me? :-) Carlos Moreno Woodworking 5 December 6th 04 09:51 PM
sanding your turnings william kossack Woodturning 7 October 19th 04 02:47 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
How to do drywall taping without sanding? Eric Ryder Home Ownership 2 July 29th 03 12:30 AM