Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Perry Templeton

Default Condensation on A/C ducts.

I replaced A/C in a rent house after a fire. Climate is extreme south
Louisiana. I completely rewired the house, reinsulated, didn't cut any
corners. Also had to replace all ceiling tiles because of water damage from
fire dept. (they did a great job saving the house).

The A/C and the electrical were the only things that my husband and I didn't
tackle ourselves. Painting, reconstruction and everything else, we did.
The house is a ranch style, 1800 sq. ft., fairly low pitch roof, with vents
in soffit, but no ridge vent or turbines.

When the A/C guy came I requested a duct with a higher insulation rating, I
asked for at least an R6 and I was told that the industry standard was an
R8.

Tenant shows me water spots in the ceiling tiles. Upon inspection, it is
where the duct tubing cross. Where they touch and cross, condensation
collects and then drips down to the insulation to the ceiling tiles.
Our temps lately have been hot, but mostly humid.
Any ideas?
Also, outside the compressor is producing more condensate than the previous
unit..the slab that the unit sits on has a permanent green slime. The
tenant changes the filter on a monthly basis, the thermostat is new,
digital, the house is comfortable to them at 76 degrees and they said the
bill hasn't changed or reflected an increase. The house doesn't feel muggy.

Perry