C. Bailey

Default Chlorination System

What is the best newsgroup/forum for asking questions about water systems?
I recently purchased an acreage with it's own well, and I have a number of
questions regarding the water system. It consists of a large pressure tank,
a retention tanks, a chlorination system, and a carbon filter.

1) I have read that chlorine "oxidizes" the H2S in the water. What is the
chemical formula for this reaction? I'm just curious. What is the
composition for Hypochlor 12 that I use?
2) It is my understanding that the chlorine removes the H2S by converting it
to elemental sulphur (or some by-product thereof). Is the chlorine (at 1 to
4 ppm) also sufficient to kill any H2S producing bacteria in the system?
3) The pH of my H2O is between 8 to 8.4. I have read that at these levels
H2S does not readily dissolve in the water. Can someone elaborate on why?
4) When I bought the house, the carbon filter was in by-pass (chlorine
injected at 4 ppm before retention tank and coming out at 1 to 2 ppm after).
I have left it that way. There is a smell to my water, but I wouldn't
classify it as a rotten egg smell. It is similar to the smell you would
find at a place like Banff hot springs (the Canadians will know what I
mean - very popular tourist destination up here). I would categorize it
more like the smell of sulphur. Is this typical?

Thank you,
Chris

Dan Espen

"C. Bailey" writes:

What is the best newsgroup/forum for asking questions about water systems?
I recently purchased an acreage with it's own well, and I have a number of
questions regarding the water system. It consists of a large pressure tank,
a retention tanks, a chlorination system, and a carbon filter.

1) I have read that chlorine "oxidizes" the H2S in the water. What is the
chemical formula for this reaction? I'm just curious.

Go he

http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/chem/dol...m/elem017.html

Cl2 + H2S == 2 HCl + S
C. Bailey

Thank you for the link - very informative. If the by-product of oxidizing
the H2S is HCl, why does my water have such a high pH (around 8 to 8.4)? I
assume it must be because the H2S is measured in ppm, and there simply isn't
enough HCl generated to be of any consequence?

Chris

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"C. Bailey" writes:

What is the best newsgroup/forum for asking questions about water
systems?
I recently purchased an acreage with it's own well, and I have a number
of
questions regarding the water system. It consists of a large pressure
tank,
a retention tanks, a chlorination system, and a carbon filter.

1) I have read that chlorine "oxidizes" the H2S in the water. What is
the
chemical formula for this reaction? I'm just curious.

Go he

http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/chem/dol...m/elem017.html

Cl2 + H2S == 2 HCl + S

DRO System Mill/Drill Kenneth A. Emmert Metalworking 11 December 3rd 04 05:28 AM
Package vs. Split System A/C in Manufactured Home Bishoop Home Ownership 1 October 14th 04 04:39 AM
Cleaning out central heating system Dave UK diy 8 December 26th 03 05:47 PM
New system nightmare Victoria UK diy 18 December 23rd 03 12:30 PM
Water system problem BigWallop UK diy 2 August 8th 03 11:12 AM