C. Bailey

Thank you for the link - very informative. If the by-product of oxidizing
the H2S is HCl, why does my water have such a high pH (around 8 to 8.4)? I
assume it must be because the H2S is measured in ppm, and there simply isn't
enough HCl generated to be of any consequence?

Chris

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"C. Bailey" writes:

What is the best newsgroup/forum for asking questions about water
systems?
I recently purchased an acreage with it's own well, and I have a number
of
questions regarding the water system. It consists of a large pressure
tank,
a retention tanks, a chlorination system, and a carbon filter.

1) I have read that chlorine "oxidizes" the H2S in the water. What is
the
chemical formula for this reaction? I'm just curious.

Go he

http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/chem/dol...m/elem017.html

Cl2 + H2S == 2 HCl + S