bryanska

Default Any part-time home inspectors out there?

I am considering a part-time job as a home inspector. I have 3 years of

apartment maintenance experience, and would get AHIT certification.

I'd love to hear opinions of home inspectors that are (or were)
part-time.

Did you apprentice? For how many inspections? How did you find someone
to apprentice with?

How difficult is it to secure 2 inspections/week? This would be an
acceptable part-time amount for me.

Any certification organizations to recommend? Steer clear of?

Can I get away with working evenings and weekends only? Does this job
encroach on a 7-4 day job?

I think it would be a good fit for me for 3 reasons.
1) Previous apartment experience and an interest in home mechanics.
2) The hourly commitment would match my current part-time job, so the
lifestyle change wouldn't be severe.
3) In Minnesota, a home inspection is required for every purchase. 4) I

have a public relations degree and self-marketing skills.

I am afraid of being unable to find enough work (although my day job
means relative security). I am also afraid it will take over my life
and encroach on my day job.

bryanska wrote:

I am considering a part-time job as a home inspector. I have 3 years of

apartment maintenance experience, and would get AHIT certification.

I'd love to hear opinions of home inspectors that are (or were)
part-time.

Did you apprentice? For how many inspections? How did you find someone
to apprentice with?

Just had home inspection. Inspector brought a "trainee" with him.

How difficult is it to secure 2 inspections/week? This would be an
acceptable part-time amount for me.

Any certification organizations to recommend? Steer clear of?

Probably depends on your state.

Can I get away with working evenings and weekends only? Does this job
encroach on a 7-4 day job?

Gonna be difficult to check outside of house and area around house when it
is dark.

I think it would be a good fit for me for 3 reasons.
1) Previous apartment experience and an interest in home mechanics.
2) The hourly commitment would match my current part-time job, so the
lifestyle change wouldn't be severe.
3) In Minnesota, a home inspection is required for every purchase. 4) I

have a public relations degree and self-marketing skills.

I am afraid of being unable to find enough work (although my day job
means relative security). I am also afraid it will take over my life
and encroach on my day job.

Worry about the last one after it happens vbg

Lou

Dan

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:40:22 -0400, wrote:

bryanska wrote:

[...]

I consider myself a part-time home inspector although I'm doing six of
them this week IMHO the only certification that's worth anything is
the ASHI one, not cheap. I'd question that apartment maintenance is
adequate preparation, but I don't want to rain on your parade. I
think that quite a bit of understanding of construction issues is also
important. Missing a major code issue can cost you a lot of money in
today's litigious society. Be very aware that buyer's remorse can
kick in and you can be the first in line for a lawsuit. I've been
quite fortunate in that respect, but I word my reports very carefully
to cover such contingincies. Check the American Society of Home
Inspectors web site for answers to your questions, and good luck
whatever you decide!

Dan
bryanska

Dan,

Thanks for the information. I haven't sat down with any inspectors yet
to really delve into it.

With a simple Internet search on the subject, I immediately learned
that many people are on the edge of suing their inspector. Most of them
seem not to read the fine print and expect too much.

Curious about two things - is there a good for-profit repository of
documents you can buy that are pre-worded, to insulate you from
litigation?

Second, why in your opinion is ASHI the org to go with?

Thanks again for your insight.