Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
bryanska

Default Any part-time home inspectors out there?

I am considering a part-time job as a home inspector. I have 3 years of

apartment maintenance experience, and would get AHIT certification.

I'd love to hear opinions of home inspectors that are (or were)
part-time.

Did you apprentice? For how many inspections? How did you find someone
to apprentice with?

How difficult is it to secure 2 inspections/week? This would be an
acceptable part-time amount for me.

Any certification organizations to recommend? Steer clear of?

Can I get away with working evenings and weekends only? Does this job
encroach on a 7-4 day job?

I think it would be a good fit for me for 3 reasons.
1) Previous apartment experience and an interest in home mechanics.
2) The hourly commitment would match my current part-time job, so the
lifestyle change wouldn't be severe.
3) In Minnesota, a home inspection is required for every purchase. 4) I

have a public relations degree and self-marketing skills.

I am afraid of being unable to find enough work (although my day job
means relative security). I am also afraid it will take over my life
and encroach on my day job.