Fred

Default soundproofing floor

I have a 1950s vintage 2-story building with no insulation. The second floor
is hardwood and transmits clicking, echo footstep sound to the floor below.
Below the hardwood floor is wood underlayment, wood joist and finished with
a plaster ceiling, no insulation. I want to install a laminate flooring on
top of the hardwood flooring (I could go carpet but prefer not to) so what
is my options in soundproofing the floor for the DIYer. Any products that
really work?

Darro

Many sound-control underlays can be installed easily by the
do-it-yourselfer.

The relative performance of sound control underlays can be determined
with standardized testing methods.

The Sound Transmission Class (STC) is a rating of how well an underlay
reduces airborne sounds such as conversation. The STC rating is based
on testing in a laboratory, and the Field Sound Transmission Class
(FSTC) rating is based on testing in a real-life environment.
The Impact Insulation Class (IIC) is a rating of how well an underlay
reduces impact sounds such as footsteps. The IIC rating is based on
testing in a laboratory, and the Field Impact Insulation Class rating
(FIIC) is based on testing in a real-life environment.

The higher the ratings on comparable floor assemblies, the better the
underlay reduces sound transmission.

Superior (and more costly) underlays tend to have values in the high
50's and up.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:12:58 -0700, "Fred" wrote:

I have a 1950s vintage 2-story building with no insulation. The second floor
is hardwood and transmits clicking, echo footstep sound to the floor below.
Below the hardwood floor is wood underlayment, wood joist and finished with
a plaster ceiling, no insulation. I want to install a laminate flooring on
top of the hardwood flooring (I could go carpet but prefer not to) so what
is my options in soundproofing the floor for the DIYer. Any products that
really work?

Joseph Meehan

Fred wrote:
I have a 1950s vintage 2-story building with no insulation. The second
floor is hardwood and transmits clicking, echo footstep sound to the
floor below. Below the hardwood floor is wood underlayment, wood
joist and finished with a plaster ceiling, no insulation. I want to
install a laminate flooring on top of the hardwood flooring (I could
go carpet but prefer not to) so what is my options in soundproofing
the floor for the DIYer. Any products that really work?

You should be some relief using the deluxe padding for the new floor.
The bad part is you will not know until it is done. The fix if that does
not do it is to put a new ceiling in below secured to isolation fixtures .

Check out: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

This you can do after you are done with the new floor just as easy as
before.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit