Default Tiling question, is it necessary to back butter?

I'm ready to lay down 16x16 tiles for a fairly large area. Is it
necessary to put down thinset on the substrate and also back butter the
tile or is it enough to do just the substrate then lay the tile? I've
asked several people and get conflicting answers. Thanks.

Geo

On thing about back buttering is that you dont easily end up with
empty pockets of air under the tile. I sort of do a little of both
myself.

I lay the thinset on the floor, and then on each tile placed I put a
small amount of thinset in the center. This sort of makes the problem
of air being trapped under the tile go away.

On thing is make sure that you subfloor is strong. Using a good
thinset
is the next best investment.

I usually do both also.

I like a back butter the cement so the back looks as smooth as the
front. The biggest problem with this techqiue is the grout lines
sometimes will fill with cement. I perfer to have a handfull of q-tips
handy or clean them out with the edge of a spacer.

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
"Back Wired" Switch Question Robert11 Home Repair 3 April 12th 05 05:27 AM
Another silly tiling question... Stu Pittasso Home Repair 2 February 20th 05 02:48 AM
Quick Tiling question rob_h20 UK diy 2 October 17th 04 01:08 PM
Slightly tricky plumbing question Andrew Koenig Home Ownership 3 November 6th 03 09:45 PM