Default Shallow well problem. would love help!

Ok, today my mom bought one of those blow up pools and felt the need to
blow it up. She filled it halfway up and we all took showers an the
regular things. After filling the pool, the well went low. you can
usually tell this because the water turns brown (I assume from sediment
from the bottom of the well)

This is usually no problem, if left alone for a few hours is back and
working great.

We havent had much rain lately, I guess its catching up.

I was wathcing TV and heard a bang and a scarping. I thought it was a
accident out front but it was the house going from the well pump into
the "tank" It blew off of the pump and filled half the basement with
water. As I went down there I found the pump was abnormally hot. Im
guessing its been "pumping" air.

I havent the slightest idea what happened here. I guess it was caused
by not having any water. My question is what do I need to do to fix it?
I pulled the fuse on the pump because it was still running after it
blew off the hose.

Also, should I check the pressure in the tank, Would that cause any of
this.

How would I prime the pump?

I dont know what to do at this point.

Sorry for the bad grammer, spelling and whatever else. Its 12:08 AM,
ive been up for 20 hours now, im tired, have no water.

Harry K

[...]

First things first. You have no water. Get it back then worry about
other problems. The pump was running when you shut it off. It will (or
should) run again when you turn it on. I am assuming the pump is on
top of the well.

Prime the pump. You will find a plug somewhere on the pump housing,
pull it and pour water in until it fills up. Wait for any air bubbles
to work their way out. This may take a few minutes and it may help to
manually turn the pump (if it can be done). Once the pump is full with
no more bubbles, replace plug and turn on the pump.

Okay, now you have pump that is running and with a great deal of luck
it will pump water. If so, shut it off and reconnect the plumbing.

If it doesn't pump (most likely), the pump is fried. The seals are
designed to be run wet. Running one dry as apparently happened ruins
the seals. Solution is to get a new pump. At the cost of repair, etc.
I don't think it is worth it to overhaul one that has gone through what
happened.

Once you get the water back in operation, get back to us with any
further problems.

Harry K

Ok. Got it back together today, ran the pump and it cant pump the final
10 pounds of pressure. It shuts off at 50 and cant get there. It can
get to 40 fine (about a minute from 40. But after that if im lucky itll
reach 44 and thats about it.

After that I pulled apart the pump to check for any blockages. There
werent any but the part the water comes out of on the pump. (Im talking
internally, with 5 passages for water to be "forced" out) was loose.

I thightened everything back together, and im at the same point. Works
great to 40 psi then cant really get any higher.

Harry K

Standard setting for resident use a
20/40 (very rare and not very good)
30/50 Common but at the 30 some sprinklers are shaky in operation
40/60 Common.

60 psi is the recommended maximum for residence as pressures over that
cause excess wear on fittings.

His current problem is that the pump will never shut off - it isn't
reaching, by almost 30 psi, the shut-off point.

Harry K

No, My cutoff is the common 30/50 I cant get to 50, but I can get to
40.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
No, My cutoff is the common 30/50 I cant get to 50, but I can get to
40.

Could be a swollen prostate in the system.

Harry K

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
No, My cutoff is the common 30/50 I cant get to 50, but I can get to
40.

Could be a swollen prostate in the system.

I got to 50 without noticing, then 60, made 70 way too fast and hope to
at least approach 80.

Harry K