Default AC leaks air at valve in attic

I doubt this is normal. When I'm in the attic the cold pipe just above
the drip pan really blows a lot of cold air out at me. I've called a
repairman but he can't get here for a couple of days. Anyway, I'm
wondering - assuming this cold air shouldn't be leaking out like this -
would it maybe just involve refitting the pipe/valve or could it be
something worse?

We called for a repairman last week because our unit was just not
cooling our house but then tonight we found our carpet was wet behind
the wall where the AC unit sits in the attic. When I went to see what
was going on I saw that the pan was full of water but was not flowing
out of the emergency drain but once I cleared that drain the pan
emptied fine. I know having water in the pan is normal and that it is
supposed to evaperate before it overflows but I haven't run across any
thing that might help me figure out why it's not evaperating. The low
(normal) condensation drain is working fine. Could it be the leaking
of cold air is hampering the evaperation? Any thoughts, ideas or
suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

TIA.

JB

wrote in message
ups.com...
I doubt this is normal. When I'm in the attic the cold pipe just above
the drip pan really blows a lot of cold air out at me. I've called a
repairman but he can't get here for a couple of days. Anyway, I'm
wondering - assuming this cold air shouldn't be leaking out like this -
would it maybe just involve refitting the pipe/valve or could it be
something worse?

ITs called UL181 A-B tape.

We called for a repairman last week because our unit was just not
cooling our house but then tonight we found our carpet was wet behind
the wall where the AC unit sits in the attic. When I went to see what
was going on I saw that the pan was full of water but was not flowing
out of the emergency drain but once I cleared that drain the pan
emptied fine.

And you cleaned the primary drain too right?

I know having water in the pan is normal and that it is
supposed to evaperate before it overflows

Wrong.

but I haven't run across any
thing that might help me figure out why it's not evaperating. The low
(normal) condensation drain is working fine. Could it be the leaking
of cold air is hampering the evaperation? Any thoughts, ideas or
suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

Its not supposed to evaporate, its all supposed to go outthe primary drain
to the outside. if the secondary, emergency pan is filling, you have issues
that your AC tech can look over, and tell you exacty what is wrong.

TIA.

JB

Stormin Mormon

wrote in message
ups.com...
I doubt this is normal. When I'm in the attic the cold pipe just above
the drip pan really blows a lot of cold air out at me.
CY: Right, not normal.

I've called a
repairman but he can't get here for a couple of days. Anyway, I'm
wondering - assuming this cold air shouldn't be leaking out like this -
would it maybe just involve refitting the pipe/valve or could it be
something worse?
CY: Probably needs some kind of patch over the hole. Duct tape, or possibly
some sheet metal. I'm not there to see it, so can't be totally sure.

We called for a repairman last week because our unit was just not
cooling our house but then tonight we found our carpet was wet behind
the wall where the AC unit sits in the attic. When I went to see what
was going on I saw that the pan was full of water but was not flowing
out of the emergency drain but once I cleared that drain the pan
emptied fine. I know having water in the pan is normal and that it is
supposed to evaperate before it overflows
CY: Actually, the humidity in the home is supposed to condense on the indoor
coil. The water then runs into the pan, and drains through a drain. On a
central AC system, the water should not reevaporate.

but I haven't run across any
thing that might help me figure out why it's not evaperating. The low
(normal) condensation drain is working fine.
CY: As it should be.

Could it be the leaking
of cold air is hampering the evaperation? Any thoughts, ideas or
suggestions would be greatly appreciate.
CY: I doubt the problems are related.

TIA.
CY: YWATA.

JB