toller

Default Window repairs?

I am having my 23 yo house stained.

He pointed out that several windows had damage to the bottom molding that
holds the glass in, and to the sill below it. The moldings has finger
joints that are falling apart. The sills are flat when they should be
angles, and so they have held water and become water damaged. He wants to
grind them down to a proper angle and put wood hardener on them.
When he gave me the price he saw 6 like that and included repairs in the
price. Now he says another 12 are bad and should done, at about 90 minutes
each.

I know absolutely nothing about home construction. Does this make sense?
Is 90 minutes to replace the molding and repair the sill reasonable. It
sounds high, but never having done it...

RicodJour

toller wrote:
I am having my 23 yo house stained.

He pointed out that several windows had damage to the bottom molding that
holds the glass in, and to the sill below it. The moldings has finger
joints that are falling apart. The sills are flat when they should be
angles, and so they have held water and become water damaged. He wants to
grind them down to a proper angle and put wood hardener on them.
When he gave me the price he saw 6 like that and included repairs in the
price. Now he says another 12 are bad and should done, at about 90 minutes
each.

I know absolutely nothing about home construction. Does this make sense?
Is 90 minutes to replace the molding and repair the sill reasonable. It
sounds high, but never having done it...

He charges by the minute?

That sort of repair is tough to guess at, and from a sketchy
description and no knowledge of the quality and experience of your guy,
who knows?

m Ransley

I would question the repair, grinding an angle could be ok, but rot must
be removed and bleach will kill it. Wood puty or Bondo may or may not
last 10 yrs. Durhams will last 2-6 yrs. If you have the money new
windows Argon lowE would be best . 90 minutes is not much time to fix a
window, but who here can say how bad it is, nobody.

Colbyt

"toller" wrote in message
I am having my 23 yo house stained.

He pointed out that several windows had damage to the bottom molding that
holds the glass in, and to the sill below it. The moldings has finger
joints that are falling apart. The sills are flat when they should be
angles, and so they have held water and become water damaged. He wants

grind them down to a proper angle and put wood hardener on them.
When he gave me the price he saw 6 like that and included repairs in the
price. Now he says another 12 are bad and should done, at about 90

minutes
each.

I know absolutely nothing about home construction. Does this make sense?
Is 90 minutes to replace the molding and repair the sill reasonable. It
sounds high, but never having done it...

As an average time it might be right. I don't have enough experience doing
it nor can I see your windows.

The last time I did it involved four windows. Two of them just got scaped
and coated with hardner (30m each). One required almost a quart of bondo to
repair the sill. One had a few minor repairs to the sill and hardner
(60-90m). The 4 of them would up taking an entire day to do. One other
window where I had to cut and fit a new lower sash board for the upper
window (old old double hung windows converted to single hung) took almost an
entire day by the time I made the part installed and primed it.

Colbyt