Default House AC question in Orlando

This is my 1st July here in Orlando and have a question about my AC
unit. It's a Traine Multi Stage Heat Pump. Never had cental air befor
only window units living in NY.

1st let me say I had the unit serviced a month ago and all came back ok
so this is just for my sanity.

Is this normal for a FL House with central air (I'm guessing so but
what to be sure):

House is 1700 sq ft cathedral ceilings, 8 ft on the low end 12 ft or so
in the middle. House is 60 ft long and 40 ft wide.
Sun beats on the roof all afternoon (Not the morning), no shade at all,
attic is like 140 degrees (Guessing not actual)!
Ductwork runs trough attic.
55% humidity or so at all time in the house.
78 degrees at the return, 62 degrees at the ceiling vents (I'm
guessing there is some heating from tracking through the attic as I
understand normal is closer to -20 degrees)).

So here is my question, I'll use Friday as an example.
92 degrees outside, with about 55% humidity, no clouds at all sun
beating on my roof, heat index of 104. House stayed at the set
temperature of 76 all morning until about 2PM when the temperature
began to rise to about 78 and never came down again until about 8PM. My
unit ran the whole time never shutting off till about 8pm. Is this
normal or could there be a problem? I'm guessing it's normal due
the Sun and excessive heat but just want to be sure.

TIA,
Felix

JimL

On 11 Jul 2005 07:57:10 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I vote normal with some recommendations.

But if you have a 2 stage compressor, I would guess that they have
undersized your unit. I would want my 2nd stage to bring the temp
down to thermostat on a 115 degree day.

Assuming that's the case then you first look elsewhere for solutions.
Make sure that attic is heavily vented. Add more sophit vents and
make sure your roof has lots of ridge vents. You can have power
vents and a ridge vent if necessary.

Double pane glass everywhere. Heavy curtains.

Attic Ducts: Measure the vent temp at the distant locations. You
can add extra insulation on the flex duct if you are gaining heat from
the ductwork.

Shade trees.

etc.

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Multi stage, that makes the unit less than 5 years old. Good thing
Attic is not 140 more like 180 F
Normal for duct work to run through the attic. Costs to much to put in
soffits now days.
62 degress sounds a bit high to me. Your sparce on the specifics so I will
GUESS.
My 3 ton in Arizona pushes at least 55 air after it has been running for a
few minutes. (new york 12 seer package unit)

Who serviced the unit?

Shade screens are your friend. Best money I ever spend on every home.
Especially on the West facing windows. Can do wonders even with double
glazed windows.

You do not mention the insulation in the attic. If it is less than R-40 (my
opinion) put more in now.
I had a home built in 1999 with R-30 last year. I spent $425.00 and had R-19
blown in the house and R-30 in over the garage, one of those west facing
garage doors. Highest electric bill from previous owner, $250.00 per the
utility. My highest bill, $150.00 I also insulated the garage door.

My dads home did exactly what you describe. I found a 30 foot duct run un-
insulated in the garage. $40.00 of R-11 batts and some furring strips the
problem stopped.

It might be time to check the ductwork for leaks.

Like I said guesses all.

I suggest you look at the Building Science Corporation web site.
It discusses building approaches for various climates.
I think you will find that they do not like vented attics in your
climate.
Home Energy site is useful.

Echoing other comments:
Duct leaks and duct insulation will help a lot.
Running ducts through conditioned space looses least energy, but
retrofit will be expensive.
Shading of roof, wall, and particularly windows is very useful.
TB

1-My system is not mutli-stage on cooling only on heat

2-The house was built in 99 not sure on the insulation up there but I
do know it's in sheets not blown. Whole length of roof faces west.
Were are talking 60 ft in length and 30 or so feet of height, no way
for me to shade.

3-I cannot even imagine how someone will get in my attic to check the
ductwork. Like I said I have vaulted ceilings and I just cannot
imagine how they are going to get all the way to the other side of the
house, I don't see any place to walk up in there. Then again there
probably is a crawl space I just don't know what to look for. And how
will they get insulation all the way in there?

4-Side of the house (Windows) are shaded most of the time. The one
issue that gives a lot of heat is the cube-textured windows (If you
know what I mean) in the Kitchen. What do I do with them?

5-Del-Air serviced my unit. Again I'm new to central air & Central FL
so I have no idea how good the inspection was. He was there about 1.5
hours.

6-Lots of roof venting! On the west side of the house there are 4 vents
each about 4-5 feet in length and about 2 ft wide. Again this is
guessing from site.

Any thoughts after this?

Felix

One more thing...AC is set to 76 during the day at all times and 75 at
night. The bill this month will be about $190.00 last month was
$170.00. Outside temps from month to month are about the same but
much, much more sun so far this month, lots of rain last month. My
main concern is not the $$, it's to make sure the unit is running
correctly and to keep the house at the set point as much as possible.
Right now the way it is there is no way I can get it down to below 76
on a Hot 90+, humid, bright sunny day until the sun goes down. They
all is well.

Felix

As for adding more insulation:

What type of businees provide this service?

Felix

Richard J Kinch

So here is my question, I'll use Friday as an example.
92 degrees outside, with about 55% humidity, no clouds at all sun
beating on my roof, heat index of 104. House stayed at the set
temperature of 76 all morning until about 2PM when the temperature
began to rise to about 78 and never came down again until about 8PM. My
unit ran the whole time never shutting off till about 8pm. Is this
normal or could there be a problem? I'm guessing it's normal due
the Sun and excessive heat but just want to be sure.

Sounds normal. You had about the worst outdoor conditions you typically
see, PLUS, Friday was a real windy day with Hurricane Dennis offshore from
you, right? Unlike a normal hot day, you therefore had lots of humid air
blowing around and infiltrating your house. In those conditions, your unit
can't keep up with the latent heat demands of all that moisture constantly
infiltrating, in addition to the usual heat load. Did you check the
condensate drip? I expect it was running like a faucet then.

Evaluate it again on a calm, hot, sunny day.

The most economical system is just large enough to keep up, or just start
falling behind, on the worst day. Bigger or smaller is less economical and
less effective.

Richard

Funny you mention about the drain line, I never paid attention to it
before but on Friday I was mowing the lawn and it was really running
(Actual puddle nest to the unit). The only reason I knew that was OK
is I looked at a couple of my neighbors units and they were gushin too.

Yes all week last week for the most part was hot, sunny and humid 55+
easily each day. Right now for example it's:
90 =B0F / 32 =B0C
Mostly Sunny
Heat Index: 99 =B0F / 37 =B0C
Humidity: 60%

Thanks for all the great tips / advise here, it's much appreciated.

Richard
Funny you mention about the drain line, I never paid attention to it
before but on Friday I was mowing the lawn and it was really running
(Actual puddle nest to the unit). The only reason I knew that was OK
is I looked at a couple of my neighbors units and they were gushing
too.
Yes all week last week for the most part was hot, sunny and humid 55+%
easily each day thanks to Dennis offshore and some High pressure system
from Bermuda
Right now for example it's:
90 =B0F / 32 =B0C
Mostly Sunny
Heat Index: 99 =B0F / 37 =B0C
Humidity: 60%
We really need some cloud cover here in the afternoons to help cool
house down a bit! Without that there is a HUGE difference IMO

Thanks for all the great tips / advise here, it's much appreciated.

WOW! I always leave my ceiling fans on, ALWAYS! Is it better to leave
them off altogether? I just thought it was but then again my wife
tells me I never think correctly, so are you saying she is right? If
you are I'll never tell her that!

If leaving them of is the best, when and how do you ideally use a
ceiling fan??

Felix

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
WOW! I always leave my ceiling fans on, ALWAYS! Is it better to leave
them off altogether? I just thought it was but then again my wife
tells me I never think correctly, so are you saying she is right? If
you are I'll never tell her that!

If leaving them of is the best, when and how do you ideally use a
ceiling fan??

Felix

Ceiling fans cool people not spaces. They work by evaporation on your skin.
Feel the breeze and your cooler. I turn mine off when I am not in the room.

Thanks again for all the great advice! When I left for work this
morning I did in fact shut all the ceiling fans OFF. I'm curious to
see how the temps are when I get home with them off. I guess if makes
sense to keep them off and have the heat trapped in my high ceilings!
As for my windows: Single pane. I found that kind of odd when I moved
here. I'm hoping to have them replaced over the winter by a good
friend (Who will be using my house as a hotel for 10 days in November
with his family) who does windows up in NY. I'll just have to pay for
the windows, a few days off to help and lots off beers on hand. He did
offer to do it and plans to come in August to do the measurements.

Also I'm going to call today to see about adding insulation to my attic
and inquire about an attic fan.

BTW - Yesterday High 92, 50% humidity on Avg, "not much sun" in the
afternoon: Temp set to 76 house stayed between 76-77 between
2-6pm...Not complaining!

Thanks again all,
Felix