Rex's Mom

Default Using Warm Water setting on washing machine

My washing machine is about 17 years old and seems to work
just fine....BUT

Noticed that when I have it set on warm, there is almost no
mix of water coming in. My workaround has been to start it
on hot, let it fill a bit and then switch to warm.

Is this a problem for the plumber or appliance repair
person? I have used very reputable professionals of each. My
plumber does not usually charge a call out charge, but would
hate to waste his time.

Thanks
--

Rex's Mom

FDR

"Rex's Mom" wrote in message
My washing machine is about 17 years old and seems to work just
fine....BUT

Noticed that when I have it set on warm, there is almost no mix of water
coming in. My workaround has been to start it on hot, let it fill a bit
and then switch to warm.

Is this a problem for the plumber or appliance repair person? I have used
very reputable professionals of each. My plumber does not usually charge a
call out charge, but would hate to waste his time.

Sounds more like an appliance problem. Disconnect the water supply hoses
and check the water flow.

Thanks
--

Rex's Mom

Rex's Mom

FDR wrote:

"Rex's Mom" wrote in message

My washing machine is about 17 years old and seems to work just
fine....BUT

Noticed that when I have it set on warm, there is almost no mix of water
coming in. My workaround has been to start it on hot, let it fill a bit
and then switch to warm.

Is this a problem for the plumber or appliance repair person? I have used
very reputable professionals of each. My plumber does not usually charge a
call out charge, but would hate to waste his time.

Sounds more like an appliance problem. Disconnect the water supply hoses
and check the water flow.

More detail needed about checking water flow. But...I have
noticed that when using hot, the flow is very low, but when
switching to warm or using cold it is quite strong.

Thanks
--

Rex's Mom

--

Rex's Mom

Make sure the hot water valve is all the way open. Check the hoses,
sometimes they have screen washers in them that can be plugged. Hook
up a garden hose and verify that water is indeed flowing. If all that
works, and you are getting at least some hot water in, it's likely the
solenoid/valve for the hot water. They don't cost too much, if you can
DIY. Otherwise, I'd either put up with it or get a new machine, as at
17 years, I doubt it's worth the cost of a repair call. I'd bet it
would be min of $100 to fix.

Rick

wrote in message oups.com...
Make sure the hot water valve is all the way open. Check the hoses,
sometimes they have screen washers in them that can be plugged. Hook
up a garden hose and verify that water is indeed flowing. If all that
works, and you are getting at least some hot water in, it's likely the
solenoid/valve for the hot water. They don't cost too much, if you can
DIY. Otherwise, I'd either put up with it or get a new machine, as at
17 years, I doubt it's worth the cost of a repair call. I'd bet it
would be min of $100 to fix.

Also check the machine specs and see if anything along the lines
of "energy saver" is mentioned. The lack of hot water flow may
be by design (e.g. a flow restrictor on the hot water line).

Rex's Mom

Rick wrote:

wrote in message oups.com...

Make sure the hot water valve is all the way open. Check the hoses,
sometimes they have screen washers in them that can be plugged. Hook
up a garden hose and verify that water is indeed flowing. If all that
works, and you are getting at least some hot water in, it's likely the
solenoid/valve for the hot water. They don't cost too much, if you can
DIY. Otherwise, I'd either put up with it or get a new machine, as at
17 years, I doubt it's worth the cost of a repair call. I'd bet it
would be min of $100 to fix.

Also check the machine specs and see if anything along the lines
of "energy saver" is mentioned. The lack of hot water flow may
be by design (e.g. a flow restrictor on the hot water line).

Thank you all for the thoughts/suggestions. I am pretty good
at DIY, but sometimes I JUST DON'T WANT TO.

Will probably live with it for the time being, but it has
been annoying and I kept wondering who I should contact.

Don't think the machine is ready for replacement and my
appliance repair guy and I have an agreement - he will tell
me when it is no longer worth spending money on my laundry
appliances. Since I live in a fairly small town and he
depends on good reputation, have found that the majority of
tradesmen are honest and fair.

--

Rex's Mom

Joseph Meehan

Rex's Mom wrote:
My washing machine is about 17 years old and seems to work
just fine....BUT

Noticed that when I have it set on warm, there is almost no
mix of water coming in. My workaround has been to start it
on hot, let it fill a bit and then switch to warm.

Is this a problem for the plumber or appliance repair
person? I have used very reputable professionals of each. My
plumber does not usually charge a call out charge, but would
hate to waste his time.

Thanks

My bet is you will find a strainer on the hot water intake hose (either
where it attaches to the washer or the wall) and you will find it is partly
blocked. Normally the hot water one would be blocked first.

Note If those hoses are 17 years old, it is time to replace them. This
is a DIY job. The hardware store can sell you top quality new ones and you
will likely fix the problem and prevent a future serious leak.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

larry

simple suggestion, try swapping the hot and cold water connections at
the wall. will give you an idea if there just wasn't any water there to
start with, or that there is a problem in the machine. other than "hot"
is now cold and "cold" is now hot, you might end up with the blend you
were looking for without repairing anything.

-larry

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Rex's Mom wrote:

My washing machine is about 17 years old and seems to work
just fine....BUT

Noticed that when I have it set on warm, there is almost no
mix of water coming in. My workaround has been to start it
on hot, let it fill a bit and then switch to warm.

Is this a problem for the plumber or appliance repair
person? I have used very reputable professionals of each. My
plumber does not usually charge a call out charge, but would
hate to waste his time.

Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

"larry" wrote in message
m...
simple suggestion, try swapping the hot and cold water connections at the
wall. will give you an idea if there just wasn't any water there to start
with, or that there is a problem in the machine. other than "hot" is now
cold and "cold" is now hot, you might end up with the blend you were
looking for without repairing anything.

-larry

That makes a lot of sense and narrows down the problem

If the water is flowing properly, it could be the switch. The water flows
when valves are opened by a solenoid. Depending on the setting, either the
hot, the cold, or both are opened. It is possible that the switch is not
opening the hot valve when needed. Poor contact, broken wire, etc.

You probably realize that at 17 years you don't want to spend a bunch to fix
it but if it is working well otherwise, keep it going.

PaPaPeng

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:09:39 GMT, Rex's Mom
wrote:

Thank you all for the thoughts/suggestions. I am pretty good
at DIY, but sometimes I JUST DON'T WANT TO.

Happens to mine every two years. The machine's hot water connector
has a filter insert that can be blocked with preciptated lime
granules. Unscrew hot water hose to expose insert and rinse the
granules out.

Beachcomber

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 02:34:53 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"larry" wrote in message
om...
simple suggestion, try swapping the hot and cold water connections at the
wall. will give you an idea if there just wasn't any water there to start
with, or that there is a problem in the machine. other than "hot" is now
cold and "cold" is now hot, you might end up with the blend you were
looking for without repairing anything.

-larry

That makes a lot of sense and narrows down the problem

If the water is flowing properly, it could be the switch. The water flows
when valves are opened by a solenoid. Depending on the setting, either the
hot, the cold, or both are opened. It is possible that the switch is not
opening the hot valve when needed. Poor contact, broken wire, etc.

You probably realize that at 17 years you don't want to spend a bunch to fix
it but if it is working well otherwise, keep it going.

Apparently, this was enough of a problem that the manufacturers did
something about it years ago. My Sears Kenmore washer has both an
equal mix "warm water" setting and a "temperature controlled" warm
water setting that gives you more control over what you consider to be
a "warm water" wash or rinse.

Without this, when you set to "warm water wash" both solenoids open up
and you get whatever temperature results from the mix and relative
water pressures hot and cold at that location in your house. This may
not be the "warm water" you desire.

I wash only in cold (or hot for towels and underwear), always rinse in
cold, and never use the warm water setting anyway. I've never seen
the benefits of washing with warm water over cold water. It's just a
lot of wasted energy (to heat the hot water) if you ask me. Of course
YMMV.

Beachcomber