Mark Modrall

Default damp basement

Hi...

My wife's been after me to post this. Our house and our neighbor's
across the street were both built with the same blueprints and in the
same year, yet every spring/summer, our basement gets very damp and 1/4
to 1/2 inch little millipedes fall out of the drywall between the garage
and the house while our neighbor's stays dry.

There don't appear to be any cracks in the foundation, yet in our
house the moisture seems to well up and on humid days can even form
puddles. But across the street it's dry. Their house generally stays
cooler in the summer as well.

My wife's worried about the little millipedes and wonders why the
same house across the street stays drier and cooler. A) are the little
bugs signs of some kind of eating away at the wood? B) would it help to
put some kind of sealant on the concrete of the foundation to keep the
moisture out? Or would that cause other problems? and C) with the same
kind of lots and construction, why would one house stay cooler than
another?

Thanks
-Mark

--
Put the .net on the .cod to send email

Basement damp nog UK diy 6 August 25th 04 09:51 PM
Basement damp proof options? Antony UK diy 4 July 27th 04 05:13 PM
Damp under upstairs window. Porous sill? Phil Addison UK diy 61 July 3rd 04 10:31 PM
advice sought - builder's idea for damp proofing a basement Antony UK diy 8 June 30th 04 05:46 PM
More damp testing woes Kooky45 UK diy 22 October 21st 03 11:33 AM