Default How To - Help Needed

I am trying to prepare for hurricanes later in the year. We have
double doors in the front and I believe they would not stand up to high
winds. I am assuming that the wood trim around the door is nailed to
something heavy like 2x4s. I want to find something strong, U shaped,
that I can screw to the door frame on the inside (they open inward)on
both sides, if it looks like a hurricane really is going to hit
us....and then put a 2x4 in the U across the doors. I need to be able
to open the doors easily. I have a great room with double doors on one
side and glass doors all across the back and we always board them up.
Only way out of the house is front doors and through garage. If I can
come up with something good I may do this to back door (leading into
garage) as well because even though we have reinforced garage door it
is not up to hurricane safety code. Any helps, suggestions, would be
appreciated. Need something that can be done quickly because I don't
want to mess up door frames unless it's absolutely necessary.

Have you considered permanently mounted storm shutters or screens?
TB

Neither will help for the front doors. We have plywood to cover the
windows.

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to prepare for hurricanes later in the year. We have
double doors in the front and I believe they would not stand up to high
winds. I am assuming that the wood trim around the door is nailed to
something heavy like 2x4s.

Depends on how the house was made. Here in the Southwest the exterior door
trim is finished air nailed into the door jam, like a 1 by 4. Doubt that
your home is much different.

I want to find something strong, U shaped,
that I can screw to the door frame on the inside (they open inward)on
both sides, if it looks like a hurricane really is going to hit

You want to protect the outside of the door but fasten it from the inside...
Does not compute for me.

this is probably wrong

http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop...ational/14.htm

Screw these inside and slide a 2x4 through them.... just a thought.

us....and then put a 2x4 in the U across the doors. I need to be able
to open the doors easily. I have a great room with double doors on one
side and glass doors all across the back and we always board them up.
Only way out of the house is front doors and through garage. If I can
come up with something good I may do this to back door (leading into
garage) as well because even though we have reinforced garage door it
is not up to hurricane safety code. Any helps, suggestions, would be
appreciated. Need something that can be done quickly because I don't
want to mess up door frames unless it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks to everyone for trying. I am not worried about protecting the
doors - just don't want them to blow open. There is not enough room to
slide anything in from the side; have to drop it in....that was the
reason for wanting something U shaped. The doors open inward into an
entry hall that is only a few inches wider on each side than the doors.
If you'll come up with any suggestions - please keep posting. We may
get lucky and not need these ... but you never know.

Duane Bozarth

" wrote:

Thanks to everyone for trying. I am not worried about protecting the
doors - just don't want them to blow open. There is not enough room to
slide anything in from the side; have to drop it in....that was the
reason for wanting something U shaped. The doors open inward into an
entry hall that is only a few inches wider on each side than the doors.
If you'll come up with any suggestions - please keep posting. We may
get lucky and not need these ... but you never know.

Easy enough to make a strap from 1/4" (or even heavier) --if you don't
have ability to bend it yourself, a shop could do it easily.