Default A/c unit in an outside wall?

Hi,
I wanted to put a room a/c unit in a window, but that's my main means
of escape in an emergency. Now, I think I should probably put it in a
wood frame exterior wall. My question: Where??? ..higher, closer to
my 7' ceiling, or lower, closer to my body and the bed I sleep in. How
about directly below the window, almost 10" above the floor???
Thanks for any help I can get!!

Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ

Mikepier

Ideally you would put it high since cold air sinks. Most manufacturers
list the minimum clearance from the A/C to the ceiling.
But you also have to consider the electical outlet, and also you would
not want it close to your body.
Bottom line is you put it where its most feasible for you, even if you
have to put it under a window,which is what some people do.

Stormin Mormon

There's a couple concerns. First, window AC draw air from the sides, and
dump the heat out the back. So, it might not work if it's a very thick wall.

Second, higher is better in terms of cooling. Cause the hot air is on top,
and cold air will naturally fall.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I wanted to put a room a/c unit in a window, but that's my main means
of escape in an emergency. Now, I think I should probably put it in a
wood frame exterior wall. My question: Where??? ..higher, closer to
my 7' ceiling, or lower, closer to my body and the bed I sleep in. How
about directly below the window, almost 10" above the floor???
Thanks for any help I can get!!

Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ

TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I wanted to put a room a/c unit in a window, but that's my main means
of escape in an emergency. Now, I think I should probably put it in a
wood frame exterior wall. My question: Where??? ..higher, closer to
my 7' ceiling, or lower, closer to my body and the bed I sleep in. How
about directly below the window, almost 10" above the floor???
Thanks for any help I can get!!

Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ

This is Turtle

Put it in the window and have the window latch pinned down to hold it in there.
You can have the outdoor supports to help to hold it. Then if you need out
because of a fire you just pull the latch pins in the window and then push the
window unit out. Then your out that away.

Now always put a window unit away from bed areas and about 3 foot high. Anything
else is personal Opinion.

TURTLE

What he said.

Just to clarify, in light of what others said- you only need/want to
cool where you are in the room. That's not clinging to the ceiling, but
way lower down.

Because of noise, you don't want it right next to you. Nor do you want
to be in the path of varying temperature discharge.

HTH,

Edwin Pawlowski

"TURTLE" wrote in message

Put it in the window and have the window latch pinned down to hold it in
there. You can have the outdoor supports to help to hold it. Then if you
need out because of a fire you just pull the latch pins in the window and
then push the window unit out. Then your out that away.

Sensible solution and much easier than cutting holes in the wall. You can
drill though the sash to make a locking pin that is easy to remove. If
flames are licking at my ass, I don't care if the AC falls to the ground, I
want out.

Thermador Wall Oven Time/Temp Display Unit [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 27th 04 12:47 AM
"Damp" internal wall - initial measurements made. Any ideas? Clive Long,UK UK diy 5 January 30th 04 09:28 AM
Bad odor coming from expansion joint around interior wall of home John Hughes Home Repair 2 December 9th 03 06:05 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 12:06 AM