bitbucket

Default chimney cleaning, and a few Questions

i converted my fireplace to propane a few years back. i was recommneded to
me that i have the chimney cleaned---this is a non-vented system, so the
flue is permanently closed.

should this chimney be periodically cleaned again? more than anything, i'm
thinking a visual inspection of the lining is a good thing.

also, i have a fuel oil fired furnace, and of course it has its own chimney.
i have never had this cleaned. should this be serviced/inspected by a
traditional chimney sweep, or should i call whoever services my furnace?

finally, both chimneys need their concrete caps replaced---sorry i don't
know if i have the terminology correct, but i'm talking about the concrete
that gets placed on top. it seems to serve the purpose of sealing up the
joint between the brick and the chimney lining.

i have no idea what type of contractor to call to handle such a small job.
do chimney sweeps typically offer expertise like this?

thanks for reading all of this...
Joseph Meehan

bitbucket wrote:
[...]

I understand some areas the chimney sweeps will take care of it and in
others they may recommend someone.

I suggest that you have the caps taken care of at once. A damaged cap
can cause some very expensive and dangerous damage. At the same time have
both flues checked and any work needed done.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Permanently closed how? Sealed below/above/both? Why should it be
cleaned? Accumulated crud- good reason. So clean it, repair the masonry
cap, close it off above and below, and be done with it. Keeping water
and critters out will return the most benefit to you.

HTH,
John

bitbucket wrote:
i converted my fireplace to propane a few years back. i was recommneded to
me that i have the chimney cleaned---this is a non-vented system, so the
flue is permanently closed.

bitbucket

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:11:11 GMT, Joseph Meehan wrote:
| bitbucket wrote:

| i have no idea what type of contractor to call to handle such a small
| job. do chimney sweeps typically offer expertise like this?
|
| thanks for reading all of this...
|
| I understand some areas the chimney sweeps will take care of it and in
| others they may recommend someone.

i called someone who was recommended to me, and he can do both.

| I suggest that you have the caps taken care of at once. A damaged cap
| can cause some very expensive and dangerous damage. At the same time have
| both flues checked and any work needed done.

good advice. thanks. the contractor will be out tomorrow...

--
Seagull S6
Curly Sue

On 5 Jul 2005 12:54:26 GMT, bitbucket wrote:

also, i have a fuel oil fired furnace, and of course it has its own chimney.
i have never had this cleaned. should this be serviced/inspected by a
traditional chimney sweep, or should i call whoever services my furnace?

Did you get an answer to that? The fellow who does the annual
cleaning/maintenance of my oil boiler said that it's not necessary to
have someone come out for the chimney.

Sue(tm)