Bro Jack

Default Plumbing Question: Confusion About 1/4M Washer

Tried to repair outside faucet leak on frost-free sillcock. Installed
1/4 flat washer as recommended by Home Depot clerk. Leak has improved
considerably but there is still a slight leak. Went back to Home
Depot and noticed there are several sizes for 1/4 flat washers. Huh?
How can this be? One package said "actual size 37/64" or something
like that ... while the other said "actual size 25/32" or something
similar. Did I use the wrong size 1/4 flat? Also, is the washer
supposed to overlap the threaded end of the stem upon which it rests?
The one I used looked like it fit exactly, with no overlap. Thanks
Des Perado

I could never understand the reason for various sized 1/4 inch washers.
Asked a few people in plumbing stores why this exists and never got much of
an answer. Some just looked at me as if I was the crazy one. All I can
surmize is that plumbing engineers are not the brightest people in the
world. Although, when you think about it, way back in the old days, most
plumbing inventions probably came from England where anything and everything
is screwed up.

They drive on the wrong side of the road.
If you purchase a new electrical appliance, it comes without a plug. There
are so many plug / receptacle combinations in use in the country that you
have to purchase a plug of the type your house has separately.
They drink their beer warm.
They talk funny.

Thank you England!

Des

"Bro Jack" wrote in message
Tried to repair outside faucet leak on frost-free sillcock. Installed
1/4 flat washer as recommended by Home Depot clerk. Leak has improved
considerably but there is still a slight leak. Went back to Home
Depot and noticed there are several sizes for 1/4 flat washers. Huh?
How can this be? One package said "actual size 37/64" or something
like that ... while the other said "actual size 25/32" or something
similar. Did I use the wrong size 1/4 flat? Also, is the washer
supposed to overlap the threaded end of the stem upon which it rests?
The one I used looked like it fit exactly, with no overlap. Thanks

trenching and other uses of a high pressure washer Jer Home Repair 5 November 18th 04 08:59 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
plumbing question chris gallagher UK diy 2 October 28th 03 05:34 PM
Pushfit plumbing question Lee Blaver UK diy 18 October 23rd 03 07:58 AM
Plumbing question Mark in Maine Woodworking 4 August 29th 03 03:44 PM