Default Newby plumber problem

We've just moved into a house that was built in the sixties. I am
replacing all of the rather wornout pipes under the double drain
kitchen sink, and decided to replace the two sink strainer assemblies
as well, since the drains have become quite ugly looking.

I was able to get one of the strainers out, but the second one is not
coming out. I've removed all of the gaskets and locknuts from under
the basket -- I simply can't get the strainer body to budge.

What is recommended to remove it without damaging the sink (which is
cast iron with porcelain enamel)? The strainer body is quite rusty,
and I fear that it may have been glued in with epoxy or other glue.
Is there some kind of solvent that can be used, or do I need to just
give it a good whack? I'm trying to avoid replacing the whole sink,
but fear I may be forced to if I can't solve this.

Many thanks in advance.

Jon R.

Paul Franklin

On 1 Jul 2005 21:24:40 -0700, wrote:

[...]

If you have a dremel rotary tool, you can use the abrasive slitting
disk to cut one or two slits most of the way through the basket from
the rim all the way to the drain opening. Then try grasping a corner
with pliers and peeling the strainer away from the sink. This is a
lot less likely to destroy the sink than pounding away at the
strainer.

The other thing you can try is to pop it out with an improvised clamp.
For example, place two pieces of 2x4 in the sink on either side of the
basket. Place another piece with a hole drilled in the center over
those two with the hole over the strainer. Drop a piece of threaded
rod with a nut in place through the hole and down through the
strainer. Slide another piece of 2x4 with a hole in up the rod against
the bottom edge of the strainer and hold with another nut. Now
tighten one of the nuts to apply pressure to the strainer and
hopefully pop it out.

HTH,

Paul

It should have been put in with plumber's putty and there should be
evidence of that left around the bottom of the sink opening after
removing the washer and gasket. Over a long time it dries out and can
sometimes be harder to remove. I'd get a pipe wrench around it and
try twisting it. If that doesn't free it up, I'd try doing that while
someone else bangs it upward with a hammer. If neither of those do it,
I like the idea Paul suggested, of making a DIY puller.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

What is recommended to remove it without damaging the sink (which is
cast iron with porcelain enamel)? The strainer body is quite rusty,
and I fear that it may have been glued in with epoxy or other glue.

I don't have a clue, but I know what I'd try absent of better ideas. Heat.
Not a torch, but a hair dryer. Gently tap it or twist it.

The problem has just been solved. The drain basket was solidly rusted
into the sink. I tried tapping it, I tried wedging the flange with a
screwdriver, I tried turning it with a large wrench, and I couldn't get
it to budge.

The local hardware store guy suggested using something called PB
("powerful penetrating catalyst"). I sprayed it around the flange in
the sink, and thirty minutes later, the basket lifted out.

I never thought something that said "As seen on TV" would work so
well

Many thanks for the responses, and I shall keep them in mind as I work
on other plumbing problems around the house.
..
Jon R.