Default preserving molding joists in moist basement

Greetings,

I have a moist basement which has caused the joists (sistered 2x8s) to
mold and start to decay. The floor is still sound but I imagine the
joists will have to be sistered again in a number of years if this is
allowed to continue. What can I do to solve this problem? Is there
something (low cost?) that I can treat (spray?) the wood with?

Thanks,
William

PS: no dehumidifier solutions please

PipeDown

First you need to kill the living mold and bleach will probably do the job
then you can treat it with any preservative rated for outdoor use. If the
moisture is really bad you might even want to paint the surface with an
outdoor primer and paint. Use one with a fungicide built in. Read the
preservative instructions carefully and check for more info online, you may
be able to skip the precleaning step if the mold is not too bad.

You may not be able to "Sister" more joists onto rotten wood, a future
repair may require some demolition first.

" wrote in message
ps.com...
Greetings,

I have a moist basement which has caused the joists (sistered 2x8s) to
mold and start to decay. The floor is still sound but I imagine the
joists will have to be sistered again in a number of years if this is
allowed to continue. What can I do to solve this problem? Is there
something (low cost?) that I can treat (spray?) the wood with?

Thanks,
William

PS: no dehumidifier solutions please

Mr. Meehan is IMHO correct.
I would not paint the wood.
Wood holds a lot of moisture for a long time, particularly in damp
environments.
Painting might seal in reisdual moisture with mold spores.
Preservatives that penetrate the wood would be helpful in slowing
deterioration.

TB

Greetings,

Thank you all for your comments. It appears that "Preservatives that
penetrate" are generally well liked but that there is a mixed reaction
to painting with an anti-molding paint. Can anyone suggest a good
penetrating preservative? Does anyone have any answers on paints
ability to prevent or cause rot?

Thanks,
William